DIY replace jack plug: strange colors

JeffreyR

2013-05-12 6:39 pm
Hello Everyone :)

I have a PHILIPS SHP2000 headphone. The jack plug is broken. So am trying to fix it. I also have a grey audio cable with a jack plug on each side. So i thought if i cut off the plug from the headphone and cut off 1 plug from the audio cable and connect the two wires then i will even have a longer headphone wire :cool:

The strange thing is. The audio cable wire has the normal red sleeved, white sleeved and no sleeved cables within the main grey sleeve. But the headphone cable is strange :eek:
The headphone cable had two black sleeved cables.
1 black sleeves cable contains: a blue and green string of wires.
the other black sleeved cable: contains red and copper colored string wires.
The individual wires are actually colored. No sleeves around them. How does that work :confused: My mind is blown. :hypno2:

Thank you guys very much in advance for the advice :)

Amperage

2013-03-29 5:39 am
Or just heat the wire end with the iron. The heat burns the varnish off allowing it to be soldered.

One thing to add.. I use this method myself because it's fast but the heat needed to burn off the coating will also weaken/thin the insulating coating 1/4" or more past the point you applied the heat so be careful that length doesn't rest against something that could possibly short. or add a length of heat shrink tubing to insulate that area better.

Mooly

Administrator
Paid Member
2007-09-15 8:14 am
Identifying L and R is easy with a meter. Identifying phase :D I think you would have to listen and swap one pair over to see which was the correct phase.

There probably is some standard for these but I would want to be sure by listening.

Mooly

Administrator
Paid Member
I'm not sure there is a standard for this.

Identifying the L and R pairs is easy with a DVM on ohms/diode range. They will click very loudly.

1/ Connect one wire from the left earphone to the plug tip.
2/ Connect one wire from the right earphone to the plug centre.
3/ Connect the two remaining wires to the plug body.

Listen to the phones on MONO speech (radio ?) and if it sounds 'phasey' without a distinct centre image then reverse the connections to ONE earphone only.

allen02

2015-04-14 5:09 am
I'm not sure there is a standard for this.

Identifying the L and R pairs is easy with a DVM on ohms/diode range. They will click very loudly.

Listen to the phones on MONO speech (radio ?) and if it sounds 'phasey' without a distinct centre image then reverse the connections to ONE earphone only.

Idk how to use this DVM on ohms/diode range. i need another method.
but i'll try the

then after i'll see if its correct sounding or not.
:):):):):):):):)

allen02

2015-04-14 5:09 am
@mooly
idk if this is correct way
found this on yahoo answers.

Open them up to see which wire is which. I think red is + and copper is -. Then look on the other side to see what wire is where the red would go. Maybe blue is + and green is -. Let's say red/copper is left cup then red to tip and copper to sleeve. Then blue to ring and green to sleeve for right cup.

Mooly

Administrator
Paid Member
Yes, if you can open them up then its 100% certainty with getting things correct. You can't guarantee though that all headphones will be identical, that why I mentioned earlier that I didn't think there was a recognised standard for this.

Certainly though you can wire it like that, and it is the logical way for 'red to be plus'. Then give them a listen. If they are OK then all is well. If not then swap just the blue/green over.