DIY recipe for hammer finish paint?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as I can tell the choices for off-the-shelf colours in "hammer finish" paints are fairly limited.

Ideally, I'd like to try out some colours which just aren't available.
Is anyone aware of a DIY recipe for creation of a hammer finish paint?

Perhaps a suitable additive to a standard paint?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Doug
(Brisbane)

Hi,
I don't know how to mix such kind of paint from the scratch.
But I would try to find that hammer finish in silver and mix it with the color I want to have. Maybe this works:confused:
Best regards
Josch

(Ahem.) I should have mentioned that what I can get comes in pressure-pack (spray) cans.

... What I'm asking for then is an idea to blend two (or more) off-the-shelf products or components.

Doug

Last edited:
What color are you shooting for?
I wouldn't mix paints with other non "hammer" brands or formulations. Depending on the color you need you could add some tints. Deep or dark colors are much more difficult as the base formulations need to be specialized with high concentrations of pigment. The hardest part is putting it all back in the can.

Last edited:
What color are you shooting for?
I wouldn't mix paints with other non "hammer" brands or formulations. Depending on the color you need you could add some tints. Deep or dark colors are much more difficult as the base formulations need to be specialized with high concentrations of pigment. The hardest part is putting it all back in the can.

It may sound a little bizarre, but what I'd like to achieve is an off-white hammer finish. A very light, milky gold or bronze may also be interesting.

Doug

That sound nice. I can imagine that it this off-white hammer finish would look very good. But when it comes to white there is not that much mixing paints:-(
Here in Germany I can buy in cans and the colours are silver, grey, dark grey, green and blue. No chance to get white from any of these I think. Maybe you can mix the silver with white 1:1 (based on the same solvents) and see what happens. But I think you have to look for cans and not spray.
Br
Josch

It may sound a little bizarre, but what I'd like to achieve is an off-white hammer finish. A very light, milky gold or bronze may also be interesting.

Doug

Easy
use white for the base, and use either universal tints or artist colors from a tube to get the off white. Even more interesting would be an extremely light tinted (with metallic pigments?) urethane clear coat for a protected layer over the hammer finish. The tinted clear coat thing works better for deep base colors tho. Knowing the color wheel and the fact that most ready to use white paints contain some added colors helps.

Easy
use white for the base, and use either universal tints or artist colors from a tube to get the off white. Even more interesting would be an extremely light tinted (with metallic pigments?) urethane clear coat for a protected layer over the hammer finish. The tinted clear coat thing works better for deep base colors tho. Knowing the color wheel and the fact that most ready to use white paints contain some added colors helps.

The good news: I have a local distributor for Hammerite paints.
The bad news: The range is only black, silver, dark green & dark blue.

Hmmm.

Could try blending a tint & some white with the silver.

Does anyone know what the ingredients are that provide the hammered effect? Obviously it's a miscibility thing ...

Doug

Its an oil additive, in this case silicone oil, sold by Dow Corning and other companies in a formulation as a paint additive. Can be thinned with the usual solvents. I wasn't able to find anyone selling small quantities for DIY but maybe a starting point for experimentation would be the silicone oil sold for waterproofing shoes, thinned down.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.