DIY printed acoustic panel in picture frame

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My room in new flat has got pretty bad acoustic, huge windows height ceilings and brick walls. How to resolve it?

In the beginning I have had two major ingredients:
- old picture frame from Ikea
- acoustic Rockwool 60gsm 60x120cm 10cm thickness

Sound absorption panels trap acoustical energy (sound) and prevent it from reflecting off of the surfaces they cover. The panels are used to eliminate echoes and reflections that muddle or color amplified music and speech. These wall panels will also reduce reverberation levels in a room, which can sometimes provide ambient noise reduction.

Equipment List:
- Rockwool absorption panel
- MDF or wooden boards
- Saw
- Drill
- Screws
- Woodglue
- Decorative fabric Japanese Zakka French Chic Newspaper Cotton Linen Fabric

Idea behind is to make nice looking acoustic panel which don’t really look like acoustic panels. Have I succeed? Take a look:

Ikea picture frame

Me like!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's pretty cool. What about the view from the side? Did you just leave the pine wood exposed?

Hi there, I have actually varnish it in the end. Few people told me to do so.

imag0321.jpg

imag0281.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi, this is just nobrainer treatment which should look like picture frame. No attempts for anything fancy.

What difference has it made?

You don't say the effect before and after fitment..Ears only is good enough :)

We all know what bathroom sound is like....its also more difficult without curtains (Just using blinds or no carpets solid flooring etc.)
I wonder what the effect would have been with a curtain or tapestry hung about 30mm from the wall opposite the system in comparison..supported just at the top edge.
(perhaps with felt backing..or polyfluff batting)

Of course you don't get the cleaning and dust problem with the picture frame method...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Hi there!

What an awesome project! I'm wondering, what is the original photo frame made of, materials-wise?

Which is to say, what is the sound passing through before it gets to the acoustic material you attached to the back - a cardboard backing? Glass or styrene?

I ask, because I'm considering putting up a 48x24x1 acoustic panel and then mounting my existing picture frames on it - but I'm notnsure if the sound will just reflect off of the picture frames and never eveb get to the mineral wool panels to be absorbed.

Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.