DIY passive cone / drone cone

For making a big diy passive radiator I used surrounds and cut out wood from one panel.

One easy way to do it.

lautsprecher-gummi-sicke-nd250-90-3-3827997708.jpg

Rubber stall mat? Comes in various thicknesses at Tractor Supply and the like. I once thought of making an entire enclosure out of it, but too flimsy for that, the thick stuff too expensive.

Now if you could machine it to a shape; thick in the center, gradually going thinner toward the edges, that might be something. I dont have the tools for that. I'd pick a thinner sheet and add mass to the center.

Unsure how "pistonic" the motion would be, without a means to square up the degree of freedom, like the spider does for a woofer -

I bought someone's cube sub at a thrift store; 3 of six sides were 'cone'; one driver and two passive radiators. They look like this;

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG

Notice how their construction forces a pistonic movement via two suspensions with a distance between. I think you'll need this, for a DIY idea to work -

Reactions: 1 user
@jjasniew
Pistonic movement is better.

Passive radiators are sold which are not built like this.

Are they sounding less good?

It can be that long stroke drivers need PRs which are more linear in travel.

If you have a main driver not being long stroke and big passive radiators the tumbling motion is less.

In post 2 the tumbling motion can be less with this construction.

IMG_20240319_070415.png