diy Noob looking for a 4 to 6 channel ADC with HDMI output for HT use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Modern(4K HDCP 2.2) AVRs do not have analog inputs above stereo & my research into HDMI ADCs/Hdmi embedders failed to yield consumer devices above stereo as well.

Eventually I stumbled across ICs that could take 4-8 channels of analog audio and could spit out TDM or 2-4 lines of I2S but then I would still require a chip that takes those digital audio formats combines that with an HDMI TX(?) & a black h/vsync video generator before I get the requisite quad or 5.1 audio out of an hdmi port & before that I would likely need some steering logic so the channels map correctly.

All of that is quite a bit above my level, rather than reinvent the wheel I was wondering if anyone has already come across & solved this issue.

TL;DR: How do i connect something like a "Surround Master" a 4 to 6 channel analog audio device to a new AVR in an Analog Sunset world?

If there is a one stop solution I am not aware of it. What there is are various parts of two possible solutions scattered around the internet. There is the multichannel ADC HAT plus Raspi board (or a similar type of sbc) and software option and the all hardware multichannel ADC plus FPGA board option though depending on the FPGA board you could have a mix of the two.

Most of the higher end AVRs still have multichannel inputs, usually 7.1. Not sure where you are looking.
For giggles I looked at a number of receivers from like $800 to $2k units by Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz.

Almost all units had 7.1 analog pre out(Is this really such an "in demand" feature????)

From what I saw only the Marantzes starting at $1K had 7.1 analog input the rest only has stereo for analog input.

A number of FPGA boards come with HDMI outputs. You have to choose with care as not all implement the the audio. Scattered all over the web at places like Hackaday, Github, and Opencores are various projects that implement one form of HDMI i/o or another.
Not having looked into it, I couldn't tell you what it would take to get a usable output but there is also a HDMI board meant for one of the Beagle boards with what is probably the most accessible HDMI chip in terms of connections called the Beaglebonegreen HDMI cape.

A number of FPGA boards come with HDMI outputs. You have to choose with care as not all implement the the audio. Scattered all over the web at places like Hackaday, Github, and Opencores are various projects that implement one form of HDMI i/o or another.
Not having looked into it, I couldn't tell you what it would take to get a usable output but there is also a HDMI board meant for one of the Beagle boards with what is probably the most accessible HDMI chip in terms of connections called the Beaglebonegreen HDMI cape.
Thanks I'll do some research, this was a great help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.