• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY Loudspeaker construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/218095-woofer-tester-2.html

Hi jerryo

Thanks, yes I decided to put my ideas and work into a couple of books as I feel that there is too much hype regarding the design and building of hi fi equipment. There is no magic involved and it's a matter of applying the good old reliable info that seems to have been watered down or lost. I am also considering a diy book on making the actual test equipment as well, with schematics and board layouts. For me hifi is a craft and requires craftsmanship and dedication to building something special, not some slap dash over the counter stuff. Also i don't believe in computer testing of speakers but rather the tried and tested hands-on way. While my designs look plain, its up to the individual to make theirs unique and i have seen some wonderful looking stuff out there.

Regards
Mac

I debated whether or not to write a book on the intersection of theory and production does not seem a lot of correct information about the problem, what you're thinking? Formula cross channel, test coil winding, etc.

That's why I wrote some books on the subject, as there is so much rubbish and misinformation out there. As you say going from theory to actually making something is not really covered very well and my books are more orientated to actually making speakers and crossovers. I have browsed sites that seem to have copied info from other sites and in the end things get lost in the interpretation.

Mac

http://novelbooks.weebly.com/the-ultimate-loudspeaker.html

Last edited:
'Crossovers' would be the book to get to learn the basics of the electronics aspect to speaker building, as it covers the theory of the crossover network as well as the practical side of testing the speakers. The lost Art Of Loudspeaker Design is more about building a 12" base reflex 3-way system from 'old school' ideas and theory. The Ultimate Loudspeaker is a construction book which follows on from (part2 if you like) The Lost Art but with plans to build a Voight TQWP with a very trick 2-way crossover for modern drivers. My books deal more with a single system as opposed to David B Weems' book which has so many different aspects and ideas that one feels more confused after reading it.

Do you have anything in particular that you want to build?

Note that I have bundled The Lost Art and The Ultimate book for a discounted price, see the bottom of the page:

Tapered quarter wave pipe loudspeaker design with free software. - The Book Worm

Mac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.