DIY Klipschorn cutting plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I'm looking for a set of cutting plans to build a DIY pair of replica Klipschorns corner horns.
If anyone knows of any and can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful, (happy to pay for good ones)
thank you very much
Graham

Last edited:
Hello
I'm looking for a set of cutting plans to build a DIY pair of replica Klipschorns corner horns.
If anyone knows of any and can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful, (happy to pay for good ones)
thank you very much
Graham

Unless you're really set on klipschorns, .. the jubilee or the jamboree would be the ones to build (if you can deal with the size) - probably easier too.

Another alternative to look at (and arguably better performing, except in the bass) - would be something like
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/244890-synergy-horns-dayton-prv.html

a University Classic look for the corner version is a better bass bin than a Khorn goes about as deep is more powerful and most importantly goes very much higher. The Khornis already getting into the soup at 325Hz. Another horn which is also a better option than the Khorn or the University Classic is a horn designed by Ernst Georg Beck called the California.
Build plans for the Khorn are on line. The Jubilee is a much less complex build and is a much better horn, in fact it is the horn that PWK had hoped the Khorn would be but was not. Paul Klipsch spent his life working on designing a better bass horn than the Khorn one with smoother and more extended upper response, with the help of Roy Delgado and so the Jubilee was born late in Paul's career. The problem with the Khorn is its poor upper end response which requires a large mid horn to reach low enough to cross over smoothly to it. There is no way around this other than to design a horn with more extended response. The three horns mentioned, the University Classic the Jubilee and the California all succeed where the Khorn does not. Hope this is of interest. regards moray james.

Klipsch Bass-Horn

here are drawings for you.

Attachments

• University Dean Horn corner version of the classic..jpg
    University Dean Horn corner version of the classic..jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 2,815
  • University Classic Horn.jpg
    University Classic Horn.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,687
  • Jubilee Build.gif
    Jubilee Build.gif
    115.3 KB · Views: 2,782
took some time to find these for you.

The California bass horn designed by Ernst Georg Beck.
Included is an upgraded version with improvements to the first bend.
The fellow who devised the improvement to the first bend is a member at the Lansing Heritage forum.
I have a friend in Holland who has two sets of Klipsch Khorns as well as a set of University Classics. His comments on how the University and the Khorn compare was this, "the Khorns shake the room while the university Classics not only shake the air in the room but also they shake the concrete pad that the room is built on".

Attachments

• bec1fr.jpg
    bec1fr.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 839
  • 15Bahf1.jpg
    15Bahf1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 914
  • 15Bahs1.jpg
    15Bahs1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 945
  • 15Bahd1.jpg
    15Bahd1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,693
  • Ernst Beck California horn.gif
    Ernst Beck California horn.gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,984
  • attachment_004.gif
    attachment_004.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
Thank you very much for finding and posting those drawings and all the extra information.

I have a sizable room, approx. 17ft x 21ft. What ever I build must fit in the corners (WAF), so the California ones are not going to be suitable unfortunately.

I'll study the drawings and measure up over the next few days.

take a look then at Beck's single twelve inch horn design which is more compact and has close bass response to the California as well as equally impressive response and extension. A sub or two for the lowest octave would be called for with all of the discussed designs. A pair of stacked twelve inch cabinets in a corner will push about 50% more air than a single fifteen inch woofer is capable of.

BEC2Biex

Becks page on loudspeakers.
Akustik, Lautsprecher, Boxen

Last edited:
Moray, what is your pal using for drivers in his University cabs, K33?

There is a thread at the Klipsch forum on this let me find it as I cannot recall from memory but I believe that he has the original University fifteen in his. The same University fifteen is also capable of very powerful bass in a Karlson K15 cabinet, if you look at Beck's page you will see Beck was also impressed with Karlson, I will come back and post a link for you.

Last edited:
Many thanks Moray, its interesting to read up on these cabinets and agree very much that the "trick" with these folded horns is getting a decent response in the lower mid. I can't remember but i think the University Classics crossed as low as 250hz? into the cobraflex mid. I guess the proof is in just building some and finding out for yourself how successfully they crossover with a correctly designed horn at maybe 200hz or so.

I have read all of the threads on the Klipsch forum and there still seems a grey area on the bass driver, obviously the originals would seem to work but what else might be out there?

From what i am looking at i think Bruce Edgar's show horn was his take on the University bass horn and he moved on to various other non folded designs.

If you want to cross at 250Hz. the Khorn is fine so long as you are good with a horn with so many folds. The Khorn starts to get rough around 325 - 350Hz while the University and the Beck designs will play much higher. The Beck designs have the smoothest and most extended response that I have found so far easily better than any Klipsch I have seen graphs for. The Karlson is also another design that while it does not play very low nor very high it has tremendous impact and power in a very compact cabinet. I have built a number of Karlson and Karlson hybrid designs and keep getting the itch to go back an to build more.
The Cobraflex horn is not one of audios highlights and if you do some looking you will find that to cross as low as 200 - 250Hz takes a very large horn. You would do well to investigate the Karlson K-Tube they certainly surprised me. I have a paper set of K-Tubes on my EV DH1A drivers with the extender nose cup removed which makes them a nominal 1.4 inch exit driver. I much prefer the double cutaway version of the K-Tube in fact I prefer them to any of the horns that I have used so far. The attached photo shows a K-Tube in both single and double cutaway style.

Attachments

• Karlson K-Tubes.jpg
    Karlson K-Tubes.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 533
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.