DIY is dying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I say I didn't learn anything from Leach..

be that as it may, would just like to make you aware that we have rules here...take care now...
Well, I didn't - that's a just a statement of fact. Never took a class he taught, nor am I interested. That I have no interest is also.... a statement of fact.

I've been playing piano since the age of 4. When I say I didn't learn anything from Nadia Boulanger, it's a statement of fact. I never took lessons from her, though I know people who did.

Didn't learn anything from John Houseman, either. Robin Williams did - had classes under Houseman at Julliard. Both of those items are statements of facts.

Never had the opportunity to take classes under Feynman at Cal Tech, but I would have jumped at the opportunity to do so.
Can't say I never learned anything from him, though - I've read everything he has published that I have been able to get access to....He actually has something to say, and his presentation style is professional, caring and very engaging.

I'm in the U.S. for now, there are members and moderators on DIYAudio from a multitude of countries. Which of those prohibit free speech?

Let me know, please, so I can avoid communicating in an arena where stating facts is not welcome.

I strive to learn something every day. This forum and others are great sources of knowledge, and ideas. Maybe just the spark that triggers an experiment that turns into something good, or maybe just some fried parts....That's what DIY is about.

When I was younger you had to read books, magazines, or pick the brains of people who knew more than you about the subject of interest. In my late 30's after being an electronics engineer for some years, I got the opportunity to go to college and get a couple of engineering degrees. Learn something? Of course. Was it all useful knowledge? No, but it was still a worthwhile experience.

Today there is plenty of information out there on the internet, YouTube in particular. Unfortunately, one must have the ability to sift through an awful lot of BS to find some useful info. Need to learn how to fix anything from a washing machine to an automatic transmission? Watch someone do it on YouTube, then ask yourself, can I do this?

My first transmission rebuild was in 1976. I took Polaroid pictures of each part as I removed it. Numbered each picture, and wrote notes on the back, get replacements for anything that looks burnt, or broken, plus the wear items, reverse the stack of pictures and reassemble.

Today, you use a video camera on a tripod and explain everything to yourself as you do it. Then post the video on YouTube.

You should be able to learn something from each person you meet.....even if it's only to avoid that person in the future! When you stop learning, you stop growing, and start dying. KEEP LEARNING.........SOMETHING!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
George +lots. We must never forget to learn.

Today 5of 6 (luckily I'll never get to 7of 9) taught me that, at only 2 he's worked out that if I read him a long book, he might not get a second one, so he choses a couple of short books then hits me with the long one to extend lights out. I'm so proud :)

Well, I didn't - that's a just a statement of fact. Never took a class he taught, nor am I interested. That I have no interest is also.... a statement of fact.

I've been playing piano since the age of 4. When I say I didn't learn anything from Nadia Boulanger, it's a statement of fact. I never took lessons from her, though I know people who did.

Didn't learn anything from John Houseman, either. Robin Williams did - had classes under Houseman at Julliard. Both of those items are statements of facts.

Never had the opportunity to take classes under Feynman at Cal Tech, but I would have jumped at the opportunity to do so.
Can't say I never learned anything from him, though - I've read everything he has published that I have been able to get access to....He actually has something to say, and his presentation style is professional, caring and very engaging.

I'm in the U.S. for now, there are members and moderators on DIYAudio from a multitude of countries. Which of those prohibit free speech?

Let me know, please, so I can avoid communicating in an arena where stating facts is not welcome.

not really interested in you....but take care now....

I strive to learn something every day. This forum and others are great sources of knowledge, and ideas. Maybe just the spark that triggers an experiment that turns into something good, or maybe just some fried parts....That's what DIY is about.

When I was younger you had to read books, magazines, or pick the brains of people who knew more than you about the subject of interest. In my late 30's after being an electronics engineer for some years, I got the opportunity to go to college and get a couple of engineering degrees. Learn something? Of course. Was it all useful knowledge? No, but it was still a worthwhile experience.

Today there is plenty of information out there on the internet, YouTube in particular. Unfortunately, one must have the ability to sift through an awful lot of BS to find some useful info. Need to learn how to fix anything from a washing machine to an automatic transmission? Watch someone do it on YouTube, then ask yourself, can I do this?

My first transmission rebuild was in 1976. I took Polaroid pictures of each part as I removed it. Numbered each picture, and wrote notes on the back, get replacements for anything that looks burnt, or broken, plus the wear items, reverse the stack of pictures and reassemble.

Today, you use a video camera on a tripod and explain everything to yourself as you do it. Then post the video on YouTube.

You should be able to learn something from each person you meet.....even if it's only to avoid that person in the future! When you stop learning, you stop growing, and start dying. KEEP LEARNING.........SOMETHING!

yes George....do you happen to have anything on you tube?

Nothing amp related. I opened a YouTube account about 7 years ago and posted two videos from a "burnout contest" at a large car show (15,000 people) held at a race track about 100 miles west of here.

The account lay dormant until I posted a mediocre quality video of me twisting knobs on my DIY music synthesizer a few months ago. That video was made using the video mode of a $100 Panasonic pocket camera, which does good video, but the in camera microphone sucks.

Note, a "burnout contest" is an attempt to purposely fry your tires to generate enough burnt rubber smoke to win the contest based on audience reaction, judges, or both. The red tires obviously gets more YouTube views than ordinary black ones.

I plan to post some videos in the future, once I learn how to work one of two video editing programs that I have. I get requests all the time, with the most popular requests are for me to do a video assembly manual of each of my PC boards, and for me to do a video of that music synthesizer playing real music.

I plan some educational electronics related videos, some amp design, building and testing, and maybe even some parts frying in HD. I have got a really gassy tube sitting in a test socket waiting for the time to apply way too much power and shoot video, but there is always something else to do.

Right now I have 13 days left to get off my current health care plan and switch to Medicare. It has been a full time job.

YouTube

Most excellent post - thanks

Yeah - apropos to some of the attitudes I'm seeing here.

In case you missed my post re all the one-upsmanship stuff "...my first computer was so... old ..."

YouTube

checked your PMs re 'foil-beanie guy' ?- I've had to assist in my share of frivolous lawsuits against computer companies. Wannabes who wannabe paid - although they seldom wear the tin-foil hats to court.

Last edited:
No need to cross frontiers, just try USA itself. :rolleyes:

Your so called "facts" are "facts" to you only, but the problem is you seem to be drifting into *personal* attack or dissing, which is frowned upon on any serious Forum, including this one.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I can say without any doubt that the industrialisation process and now the informatization process are disconnecting the humanity to the material physical properties of everything.
And it seems to be highly societal.

Whilst people grow fruit and veg, roast their own coffee beans, make sourdough bread, cook meals from first principles etc humanity is safe. The vinyl revival, film cameras coming back etc are all proof that there is a small but vocal push back to the blight of the smartphone disconnecting us from reality. It takes 10-15 years to adjust to a distruptive change. Email used to be the same. But have faith and wield a soldering iron :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.