DIY Hifi Rack "How to" available

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

This is my first post, seems to be a great forum!

I am looking to build a hifi rack (for 4 solid state units) similar to the one in the attached photograph. It looks like it is made from MDF.

Would anybody be able to tell me where I could get plans, a step-by-step guide, or some general pointers in building a rack like this? I am ok with DIY tasks, but have limited experience in working with wood.

Hopefully I am posting in the right place.

Many thanks

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 646
Whilst not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, the design shown might not be the best one for someone with limited wooodworking experience.

It probably relies on patent fasteners, such as threaded inserts, properly driven into the right sized hole. The end result is usually more-or-less strong enough for the job, but only if the fastenings are fitted quite precisely.

The other issue with mdf is finish. It's a very smooth, flat material, no visible grain, so finish needs to be flawless to not look clunky and duff - usually finishes are sprayed onto mdf. Edges need to be cut very smoothly and then radiused with a router or spindle moulder.

One possibly easier approach might be to make the shelves out of nice looking ply, edges sanded, then possibly stained and waxed, with wooden columns bolted through with threaded rod and a nut at each end, which could be sunk into a recess and hidden if required.

Good luck, I hope you manage to find a way to do it to your satisfaction

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Prolle:

An alternative would be to design your own rack using Bosch Rexroth extruded aluminum framing (Metric Products - Bosch Rexroth Corp.). Bosch Rexroth offers an extensive line of framing components, including all of the ancillary parts needed to build a very sturdy, functional and attractive rack. Design what you need and add shelving of your choice; I used the 30x30 2SA profile for my rack and sourced 2" maple shelves from a local carpenter.

Regards,
Scott

If paramilitary squirrels forced me to build a rack like that at gunpoint (again), this is how I'd proceed:

Make the top from two pieces of MDF. Set T-nuts or some similar captive fastener into the lower half. Clamp 'em together and rout the sides smooth and then round over the edges.

Make the vertical bits from some kind of pipe. Maybe cut recesses for the pipe into the MDF using the router and circle guide.

Hold it together with threaded rod.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.