DIY Graphic equalizer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm piddling around with an old Technics amp I got at an auction for parts, and while I was specing out some of the chips, I ran across the chip that serves as the EQ. It's a m5226p. So I dug around and came up with the datasheet, and was wondering if anyone out there had messed with this kind of thing and whether or not it would be worthwhile...

Attachments

• m5226p.jpg
    m5226p.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 787
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ran across the chip that serves as the EQ. It's a m5226p. So I dug around and came up with the datasheet, and was wondering if anyone out there had messed with this kind of thing and whether or not it would be worthwhile... [/B][/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The chip internal is showing transistors configured as gyrators. I first encountered similar design as preamp using both discrete parts and opamps (lm324n)! The center frequency response were really good and you can distinguish the big difference, the gain inthis case was fixed by internal resistor. Sure it will be worth a try.

I say it's personal taste. If you feel the need to adjust slightly with an EQ, use one. Some people cant justify rearranging their whole house to get a better sound :)

My only beef with that chip is that it's single rail and therefore capacitor coupled, but give it a go. Just build a "Defeat" switch into the circuit to take it out easily.

If you really like having an EQ you could then move on to building a better one with decent opamps. Here has a few nice circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.