DIY Design Contest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's very tricky to decide what categories to have, and it would depend on the entries. I think this needs to be publicised for a start. I normally don't go outside loudspeaker forums. There should be a link to the competition on every forum.

One possibility is to base the categories on the entries received. When you get a set number of entries for a category, you open it up, according to the sections of the forum. Start with say a threshold of 10. Receive 10 speaker entries and you announce a loudspeaker section. Receive 10 subwoofer entries and you announce a subwoofer section. Start with a "most popular" prize for each section, then if you get a lot of entries for a section, you might start to add additional prizes. This is inherently flexible, and responds to the interest level of the entries. Where you find entries that don't have enough to make a separate category, you can put them together in the "everything else" group.

There could be a secret ballot section on a sticky dedicated thread. A thread just for ENTRIES ONLY - images, description in concise format. There could be a button on each entry that you press to vote for it - one vote per person per section. If entries and discussion of entries are mixed, it will become HUUUUGE and those who want to have a quick look and vote will be put off wading through it all. There could be another section for those who want to discuss entries.

Alternatively, the moderators might be willing to compile a separate section (not an actual forum), with the entries including description and images which could be emailed. Then people can look at them and vote without wading through long forums. There could then be a forum for those who want to discuss ...

ideas, ideas, ideas ......

actually, the idea of opening up categories as we get entries was something i was toying with the past couple of days. its a great idea i think. i think that might be the way to go.

TO ALL MODS:

i need someone to help me advertise this in the forum. the best way would be a sticky in all the forums. its the best way to get the word out. keep in mind, this could give the forum a LOT of money in addition to really boosting the quality of the DIY projects here. its a win win situation!

i have pretty much all the details worked out, i just need a mod to help me advertise!

this is a great opportunity to make a bit of $$ for the forum.
That is just a fringe benefit. Personally I don't mind if diyAudio receives a dime. We seem to be able to keep this place afloat with donations. Don't misunderstand me...I'm not against a few $ for the forum. But this thread should be about innovation or just plain diy at it's best...craftmanship/art or something like that. I reckon if you beg around a bit you could get a sponsor for the prizes...that way everyone can enter the contest. (Shifting money around can still be a lot harder that it should be) and if we are talking 10$ often the bank transfer fee is more. I think we would lose a lot of entries from eastern european and maybe asian countries.

Thanks for coming up with a great idea Cowanrg!

its not a contest yet, still an idea. need a bit more work still.

you do bring up a good point about the money. if paypal is an option for people, that is what i was thinking. only 3% goes away to fees.

any ideas of who would donate prizes? i would like to have good prizes... if we could have cash prizes and other prizes that would be great.

i DO agree with you though. im more interested in seeing the best of the best. the donation idea was secondary, just to get the mods to help out with advertising the contest. this could easily be a thread that just collects dust, and not enough people visit my site to get the interest there.

so, with suffucient help, we can really promote this thing and hopefully see some great stuff. not to mention i am getting a milling machine for my basement in about a month, so i can churn out some really cool stuff :D

i am doing some homework and other stuff right now, so i wont be able to get anything official to you guys until later this week. but, i would rather do it right that rush it. hum, maybe it would be easier to just make me a mod :dodgy:

cowanrg said:
any ideas of who would donate prizes? i would like to have good prizes... if we could have cash prizes and other prizes that would be great.

Well, you can look at what prizes are available for the diyAudio logo competition here. By the way, if anyone didn't know, the first round of voting for the new logo is open, and details are here.

cowanrg said:
i am doing some homework and other stuff right now, so i wont be able to get anything official to you guys until later this week. but, i would rather do it right that rush it. hum, maybe it would be easier to just make me a mod :dodgy:

Yeah, these sorts of things should be done properly. cowanrg for mod? lol :D If they judged such things on the effort put into chassis work, you'd get there easy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.