DIY Center speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a pair of 8 ohm bookshelf speakers that I would like to make a center speaker out of,they have 6 inch Peerless woofers and Accusound tweeters with a 2 or 3 way cross-over connected for 2 way. I'm using 1 speaker-box at the moment and I just put the other one in along side to see if it fits,now I'm wondering if I can wire the two together somehow for an awesome center speaker? The Amplifier is a Yamaha HTR-3063/RX-V367,both are the same? It has >100 WPC@6 ohm output and I have DMC QED,1A front speakers 8 ohms and 8 ohm Skandia rears. The Yamaha doesn't seem to mind the 8 ohm load at all it doesn't overheat or anything and sounds excellent.Is there some way I can do this?

Attachments

• center2 002.jpg
    center2 002.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 244
... But what about my amp only being 6 ohms, will it be OK with 16 ohms?

Yes it WILL! :D

I suggested wiring them in series rather than parallel, because your amp will be happier with higher impedance Z (which is similar to resistance R really, just more complicated because it includes phase...LOL). Let's see, Ohm's Law says V=IR, er, so less current I at given voltage V...yes, the transistors in your amp stay more within their Safe Operating Area (SOAR)...:cool:

Do tell us how it sounds. I always got good results with this sort of thing. But never had 4 speakers to do the WHOLE ENCHILADA in stereo! It's quite a public address sort of sound in the end. :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes! After recalibrating with a YPAO microphone it works excellently! The difference is like listening to a stereo and listening to a band. I'm not kidding the sound in stereo is thin compared to full,like from 2D to 3D its added another dimension to the music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.