Diy audio store and passlab

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi -

can anyone tell me the relationship between the diy audio store and first watt? Is the online shop the only place where I can buy first watt boards? I have had some bad experiences with their quality control and i would like to buy from a store whose staff are knowledgable with electronics if possible.

thank you very much

Philip

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 'store' itself only does order fulfillment and is not versed in electronics. From
the store page:

"For all non-technical pre and post sales support, please contact us by email at contact@diyaudiostore.com. Technical support is fielded at the diyAudio Store Forum where staff and members of the diyAudio community will do their best assist you completing the project of your dreams."

What are the 'quality control' problems you spoke of? I have not had
any problems with shipping time, packaging or the boards or parts.

hi - is DIY audio store the official outlet for first watt product?

I am not an experienced DIYer but the components bought should at least work. I have had some failed components from them and the answer was bad luck - it's DIY so tough. Although legally correct I suppose, it's really isn't the answer one would expect.

I truly think Mr. Nelson Pass is a great man and I would continue to support his causes for DIYers but these things do cost a lot of money and I would like to work with a company which is more tentative and knowledgable about the products they sell. This forum is a great place with generous members who would bend backward to help but knowing what i know now, I am hesitant about buying anything from the store, to be honest. I am only asking because the F7 FW looks like a real piece of engineering tour de force and I would like to build it when it comes out but once bitten twice shy.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
hi - is DIY audio store the official outlet for first watt product?

I am not an experienced DIYer but the components bought should at least work. I have had some failed components from them and the answer was bad luck - it's DIY so tough. Although legally correct I suppose, it's really isn't the answer one would expect.

I truly think Mr. Nelson Pass is a great man and I would continue to support his causes for DIYers but these things do cost a lot of money and I would like to work with a company which is more tentative and knowledgable about the products they sell. This forum is a great place with generous members who would bend backward to help but knowing what i know now, I am hesitant about buying anything from the store, to be honest. I am only asking because the F7 FW looks like a real piece of engineering tour de force and I would like to build it when it comes out but once bitten twice shy.

I just can‘t imagine a failing part from the store ( The diyAudio Store - DIY amplifier kits, chassis, and parts ) not having been replaced. The people there as as reliable, friendly, thorough as one could wish for.

Hi - I understand the small print and I am not saying that they advertise that they are experienced electronics engineers. There were some failed components which i bought from them - maybe it was my fault, maybe it was theirs, maybe both. Who knows, it's DIY right? I have found that some BOMs were out of date which never got updated, parts which were too tight to fit, failed components (regardless of the cause). I would like to know if there is an alternative source if possible.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi - I understand the small print and I am not saying that they advertise that they are experienced electronics engineers. There were some failed components which i bought from them - maybe it was my fault, maybe it was theirs, maybe both. Who knows, it's DIY right? I have found that some BOMs were out of date which never got updated, parts which were too tight to fit, failed components (regardless of the cause). I would like to know if there is an alternative source if possible.

Well.
I‘m sure the store will replace faulty parts you got from them.
Everything else... is diy, and IMHO you shouldn’t put the blame onto the store if they aren‘t responsible.
The bom‘s are sometimes out of date or of a variant from one of those many builders here, yes, but it is up to us to make sure we don‘t bungle.
I don‘t know of any other reliable source to get firstwatt-stuff except firstwatt (and in fact they‘re not even „original“ FW, but clones.)
My2c
Best of luck
David

I’m sincerely hoping this doesn’t come off as rude, but dude you’re being overly critical. It’s DIY and that comes down to BOM to possibly missing a resistor or two to getting a wrong component value. It’s up to YOU to check and verify components before a build.

Check your BOM & materials before building. If you kill a transistor because of your own fault for example, then it's up to you. If you get a defective transistor and it was already broken when you got it then it's to be replaced by the store.

Any other situation? Perhaps you built it and then it broke and you can't really prove either of those cases? Well, buy a new transistor yourself and check your trails.

the DIYAudio store is like your neighbourhood brewery. They're not an assembly line store. You buy parts and a schematic and you're expected to know how to handle them. You don't buy the experience (and hence, don't buy the guarantee of success.)

If there's issues, make it an adventure instead of a fight fest. Who knows, you learn a thing or two.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
<snark on>

Yes, you can buy boards in a retail First Watt amp. I'd suggest that route for you.

<snark off>

My snark is only because I can't imagine what motivated you to post this. Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're just a frustrated new builder (I've been there).

You will NEVER find a perfect kit with perfect instructions, unless you get it together yourself. However, there is a new thread re: the Aleph J for noobs being started by two passionate guys that want to make it easier for noobs to accomplish their first (or later) build and make it as easy to find information in one place as possible. Go check it out.

re: your expectations and making assumptions re: store personnel. Just bad taste and poor manners. Grow up. How could you possibly know their qualifications? I think Mark Johnson (one of the key designers for the M2x) would be very surprised to know your assumptions re: his credentials. You do know that many of the board designs are contributed out of the good nature of members of the community, don't you?

In summary - if you had a bad experience. Sorry. It stinks to have to re-order parts / troubleshoot etc. if things don't go perfectly. I mean that sincerely. Anyone even attempting one of these builds is awesome in my opinion for just making the effort.

However, if your expectation was to have everything perfect for you. Your expectation was too high. There is no "small print" - this is DIY. You bought a board and / or some parts. No more, no less. All the help to assemble a working amplifier from those boards and / or kits is not the responsibility of "the store". It is graciously supplied by forum members to help people along. It is not required nor expected.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
A search of posting history suggests one relay was obsolete and the output resistors on one of the F5 boards burned out on power up. No real attempts at fault finding have been published so does appear to be a user error.

The forum is here to help people but when suggestions are made on fault finding you need to follow them to find the actual fault before complaining.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm still waiting to hear what it was that "failed" or was defective. Let's hear it. Several have voiced similar questions. No answer. Only one reason I know to "beat around he bush" about the alleged problem.

Lets hear about the problem. If one exists, they would make it good. Myself and others have bought tons of boards from store with no problems.

"Maybe my fault maybe theirs" talk is nothing. Let's hear the problem! You've complained, you could at least voice problem so those you accuse can respond. Only one reason not to do that I can think of...sorry.

Russellc

to be real tho, we are very much open to helping with your ****ups

but not taking blame for it :)

source: I'm very good at making ****ups

:rofl:
THAT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!
DiyAudio is not the place to get a bargain amplifier that goes together like Lego.

Seriously, though, as a pretty all noob myself, I always assume that I did something wrong. It's part of the learning curve. I just don't understand some of the attitudes here, especially given the level of altruism from all the incredible people who *enjoy* spending their time helping others get better at DIY audio.

Kind regards,
Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.