DIY anamorphic lens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I figured it out thought I could do it with out going into the menu but I seemed to be able to stretch Batman Begins (2.40:1) there is a mode called V-fit seemed to do the trick Zoom did too but seemed to crop the image slightly V-Fit didn't appear to crop anything just stretch vertically. I also just received a quote on a set of "trophy" prisms 83.00 shipped not too bad.

I am sure you just press aspect and it should show what mode it is in on screen. If you want to scroll through the different modes, you keep pressing aspect. Because you will need to identify mode 1 (VS) as well as mode 2 (HS).

It seems the V-fit is the ticket for vertical stretch, I assume H-fit will be the horizontal stretch. Haven't tried it since it doesn't do anything to 16:9 or scope formats since they already use the full width of the panel. I don't have any 4:3 material to test with.

No aspect button on the remote but I can get to it from a mini menu (single box). One thing that is kind of a bummer is the memory functions both lens and user memory doesn't remember the V-fit or H-fit modes. I saved them and it does everything but the stretch. Not a big deal but a minor inconvenience.

What would I use the HS mode for? I was just planning on moving the lens for 16:9 stuff.

Still getting quotes for prisms shopping around a bit. I noticed some vendors list them as "optical crystal" and others just say "crystal" is there a difference or did they just not put the full description? The pictures and sizes look identical.
I plan on ordering my prisms in the next week or two. With the build following that as time allows. Still need to get some black velvet to line the case with.
What do you recommend to attach it? spray adhesive or two sided tape? The case will be 1/2" & 3/4" MDF I have plenty of it around mostly 1/2".

It seems the V-fit is the ticket for vertical stretch, I assume H-fit will be the horizontal stretch. Haven't tried it since it doesn't do anything to 16:9 or scope formats since they already use the full width of the panel. I don't have any 4:3 material to test with.

No aspect button on the remote but I can get to it from a mini menu (single box). One thing that is kind of a bummer is the memory functions both lens and user memory doesn't remember the V-fit or H-fit modes. I saved them and it does everything but the stretch. Not a big deal but a minor inconvenience.
You don't want H stretch anything. The A-Lens does that. You need to load any 16:9 program and find the mode that horizontally SQUEEZES the image. That is mode 2 scaling.
What would I use the HS mode for? I was just planning on moving the lens for 16:9 stuff.

Then you don't need HS or mode 2 then.

Still getting quotes for prisms shopping around a bit. I noticed some vendors list them as "optical crystal" and others just say "crystal" is there a difference or did they just not put the full description? The pictures and sizes look identical.
None that will matter for what your doing with them. Most are BK7.

I plan on ordering my prisms in the next week or two. With the build following that as time allows. Still need to get some black velvet to line the case with.
What do you recommend to attach it? spray adhesive or two sided tape? The case will be 1/2" & 3/4" MDF I have plenty of it around mostly 1/2".

Either or. As long as it does not move.

You don't want H stretch anything. The A-Lens does that. You need to load any 16:9 program and find the mode that horizontally SQUEEZES the image. That is mode 2 scaling.
Then you don't need HS or mode 2 then.

Okay cool that's what I was thinking. I just don't want to crop any image regardless of AR. I'm all about preserving the OAR.

V-fit vertically stretches or horizontally squeezes the scope images to fill the 16:9 panel, everybody is tall and skinny. The lens will stretch it back horizontally restoring geometry. So I should get more resolution and brightness.

Thanks again for all your help and answering my questions. Now it's time to order and build one. Like I said it may take me a little bit but I will post my build.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, here is my latest project - the MK5.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MK5 prototype 2.jpg
    MK5 prototype 2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 619
Was originally considering trying a VC just to be different, but now I've found a cheaper source of prisms, might go back with HE.
I suppose I should explain that my primary objective is to create a lens to use in amateur filming, much like how you used the Aussiemorphic as a camera lens. That's why I have the flexibility, so to speak, of choosing to go down either path of VC or HE, as I'm not limited by factors such as screen size and projector positioning; as long as the prisms are big enough not to cause vignetting, I'm okay.

Was originally considering trying a VC just to be different, but now I've found a cheaper source of prisms, might go back with HE.
I suppose I should explain that my primary objective is to create a lens to use in amateur filming, much like how you used the Aussiemorphic as a camera lens. That's why I have the flexibility, so to speak, of choosing to go down either path of VC or HE, as I'm not limited by factors such as screen size and projector positioning; as long as the prisms are big enough not to cause vignetting, I'm okay.

Then I would strongly suggest the VC route for you. The Anamorphic Lens I used has fully corrected optics therefore the imaging chip captured no CA which will be painfully obvious with a non corrected prism HE lens. A 2 prism VC still has CA, but the CA runs horizontally not vertically as it does with the HE lens, so it is not as obvious. Also astigmatism will be non existent horizontally, where you'll get blurred edges (ok if that is the effect you want) with the HE prism lens.

The limit with my capture was the actual camera I used (a sub $200 BLOGGER), not the A-Lens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.