DIY anamorphic lens

Hi Mark,

i'm so happy, because today i finally got your prisms :)
They are so huge and heavy...i'm afraid that they will break down my "projection board" while placing them in front of the projector :)

Now i have to align them properly, but i don't nothing about the correct angle.
Is there any "test pattern" or sonething like this on your blog, which i haven't seen?

Thanks for your help Mark! ...oh yes, i love the prisms :D

Karol

Ok,

but until now i don't have a 2.37:1 screen, because i'm not sure about the right dimensions of it.
I thought that it would be senseful, to use the anamorphic lens with the projector to find the right width of the screen and build it after that.

Is it easy to realize the case for the anamorphic prisms? What material should i use for it?

Mark, yesterday i noticed that one of the prisms is a little bit higher than the other one (maybe 3mm). Is this normal?

Ok :)
I will do so. But what, if i would like to realize a curved screen?
The height of the curved screen stays the same, but the width changes.
I'm not sure, if i need a curved screen at all, because i will have a TR of 1.9...

The other problem is, that i still think it would be too difficult for me to build a curved screen...although it really looks nice when i look on your images...

Sounds good :)
I think it's much easier to start (like you) with a flat. But turning it into a curved seems very difficult for me.
In my case, i would have to curve flat wooden slats which implement the frame of the flat 2.37:1 screen.
I'm afraid that they could brake if i want to curve them using force...

Apart from that: Wouldn't be 2.40:1 better? I know, 2.37:1 is the "native" stretch format using an anamorphic lens, but watching movies like lord of the rings, i would get very, very small black bars again...?

Ok, i'll start the tests today :)
I think Transformers and The fellowship of the ring might be two good examples :)

I read a lot about bad pincushion effects while using the zoom of the projector, so i assumed automatically that i'll need a curved screen, too.
But, you're right! I should try this at first. My projector does the vertical stretching only for SD signals. I have to take this way until i replace the projector by a new one with 1080p and an anamorphic wide mode.

God, i love CinemaScope :)

After testing it with Transformers, i'm totally convinced of the Aussiemorphic MK II.
Great work Mark!

Unfortunately, my projector only stretchts 576p, while using higher resolutions, the stretch option is deactivated :(
I still don't have a scope screen so i'm not sure if the prisms were aligned properly, but what i've seen was unbelievable :)

Mark, is it possible to buy the case of the Aussiemorphic and the lens sled? Or is it sold out?

Oh, i still have one question: After you've finished your tests with the experimental MK III, will it be possible for MK II users like me to upgrade the lens by adding the third correcting element?

groovy baby said:
hi Mark Techer, do you still have anamorphic prisms to sell ? I should be interested in :)

please pm me ;)

No I am all out sorry. The new prisms I am having developed will be achromatic doublets...

Karol N. said:
God, i love CinemaScope :)

After testing it with Transformers, i'm totally convinced of the Aussiemorphic MK II.
Great work Mark!

Unfortunately, my projector only stretchts 576p, while using higher resolutions, the stretch option is deactivated :(
I still don't have a scope screen so i'm not sure if the prisms were aligned properly, but what i've seen was unbelievable :)

Mark, is it possible to buy the case of the Aussiemorphic and the lens sled? Or is it sold out?

Oh, i still have one question: After you've finished your tests with the experimental MK III, will it be possible for MK II users like me to upgrade the lens by adding the third correcting element?
It is probably cheaper for you to find a local cabinet maker and get them to make the parts for you than shipping one from here.

That focal element is still a work in progress BTW...

Mark

all right,
once you finished this new "thing", I think I will take you one :)

If I understood everything, you are talking me about the MKIII , still in development , am I right ?

Do you have an idea of the time you need before finalize it then sell it ? And may an idea of the price it could cost, for me to prepare the money :D

May you have answered those question on the topic, but I could not read the entire topic : stay focused on a simple answer cost me half an hour so ... But I'm workin' on it as you can see :)

thanks for your time ;)

This is not supposed to be discussed here as it is technically a commercial product. Mods, feel free to remove this post if it is breech of the forum rules.

Yeah, I guess it is a 2nd attempt at the MKIII, but this is a complete new design. The prototype should be ready in about 6 weeks, but that is all I can say at this time. The end cost is also going to be about $1500AUD, as the optics are made in an optics factory, not just trophies. The optics will also be fully coated as well as correcting CA. I am not sure about the focal corrective element at this time...

Mark

I am not sure about the focal corrective element at this time...
You mean in matters of the MKIII or the MKII?
Until yesterday, i even had no idea anout the possibility of adding a third element to the MKII. But finally, i had enough time to read your blog and to talk with a german, who purchased your MKII one time. I told him how satisfied i am with the prisms, so he asked me therefore, if it is now possible to upgrade the MKII by the focal element.

I know, the shipping costs from australia to germany are expensive, but this simply doesn't count :)

Today, i saw the need of tilting the prisms. I still didn't found any cabinet maker here, but i'll keep on searching.