DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive

Thank you for sharing that info. Does it means that my type/model of Bourns made encoder is not good for our setup? I have two from probably a same batch and both are behave the same. Is any issue have been observed on not modified Chaise made encoder boards from eBay? Any advise for good quality units?

Last edited:
Finjima, I have a spare board I would be able to sell you. Although, if I can't get in touch with Twystd, I may have a full bag of parts to get rid of too. PM me with your info and maybe we can work a deal.

Sorry Johnny, I have no clue on how to ship to the middle east and shipping would probably be more than the board is worth so this offer is only for the USA.

Ken

As far as I know I am currently the sole provider of SG4 chips and single SG4 boards. I currently still have a few chips, but I'm out of boards.
When a few people ask about boards I will order them from Oshpark in order to send them out singly, I also continue to buy chips from Bill (Pyramid).
Owing to import duties and taxes in the UK the prices are higher than they would otherwise be, but I do try to keep the supply lines open.
Let me know via PM and I'll see what I can do.

The chips are the issue for us. Just purchased three board sets from Oshpark and distributed one set to another member here. Will Pyramid sell directly to US members, or shall we go through you (ralphfcooke) in the UK? Happy to do it either way. If the latter is the only option, i’d be happy to arrange to receive a small bulk shipment and redistribute via US Mail.

I do not sell individual chips. I made arrangements with ralphfcooke and Twysted to act as distributors. They buy the chips from Digikey, have them shipped to me, and I program them in bulk and send back to them for individual distribution. If Twysted is no longer active in this capacity and someone else ones to step up in the US, I would be glad to continue with them.

This project is starting to get a little long in the tooth. I think when ralphfcooke and Twysted stepped up, it was understood to be a temporary arrangement, not a lifetime commitment. If there is still some interest, maybe we could do an End of Life last time buy?

If this project is coming to end of life would it be possible for us to burn our own chips please?

I'm not ready to release the IP into the wild. The SG4 has commercial applications as it has more capabilities than just about every commercial PSU on the market. The only way to prevent someone from profiting from using the code commercially is to pre-program the chips and lock the security bits.

Pyramid you are a victim of your own success. :) If anything I think this project is gaining traction.

I don't think so, I think it is winding down if anything. I've programmed 340 chips in 3 years and the flow has dwindled down to a trickle. Both ralphfcooke and Twysted have thought their most recent order would be their last.

Also, the number of posts on this thread has all but ceased.....

I tried to get DIYAudio to carry the chips on their on-line store, but they weren't interested.

Ralph, I agree it doesn't make much sense to send chips from the US to you just to send them back to the US!

Seth, thanks for volunteering to supply the chips to the US. When you get everything worked out with Bill, please post the information on getting them from you. I'll be ordering right after.

I also feel this "project" should continue to be supported because as Bill noted above this is probably the most flexible multi-phase AC power supply available. One thing to keep in mind is, as far as I'm aware, this has only gotten real exposure on this one forum on one audio board. I would bet if was introduced in places like Vinylengine and Audiokarma, there would quite a bit more interest.

Ken

Pyramid, a quick question. I will build the SG4 and the tachometer project that you have been involved in and will incorporate everything into one box. If possible, I would like to keep the displays for the SG4 and tacho consistent. Trouble is that I am unable to source a reasonably priced 6 or 8 digit LED for the tacho which means that I will probably have to go LCD. The SG4 display is LED...is it possible to somehow use an LCD display for the SG4?

Failing that, can the