Diy 360° Full range Rubanoide Speaker

Hi everyone.

I present to you today a somewhat bizarre project, it is a ribbon speaker inspired from an old tweeter used by the linaeum company in two-way speakers.

In my model I changed the size of the ribbon and its material, I tried several materials before deciding to use plastic as ribbon because it sounds better than other types of paper.

The project is very simple and easy to do, the correct name of this speaker is Rubanoide speaker.

the speaker has no cabinet but it can plays the sound loud down to 150hz very well like a a small full range speaker, the reproduction of midrange is really very impressive and clear.

you will find attached the photos of the project as well as the link of the video which shows all the stages of manufacture in my youtube channel where you will find other audio projects.

you welcome

Attachments

• IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    505.5 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    397 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 533
  • Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
I’ve been pondering this design all day 🤔 (These are hypothetical questions, not directed at you OP.) What would happen if it was lengthened to say 6 feet tall? I guess it could be a full range tower. What if it was widened to two feet wide and made of thicker material? Could it be a dipole subwoofer or would it be more efficient? What if you used the 2’ wide on the bottom, an eight inch, then a three inch, then a one inch for a four way? What if neodymium magnets were used for higher flux density? Should there be damping (wool) on the inside, or on the outside edges? What are the effects of a wider design, heavier material, stiffer material. You said paper was unsatisfactory, I’m wondering why? Can you imagine towers of beryllium? O.O Does the shape of the radiation surface matter? Does it have to be cardioid or two cylinders? Does a baffle help or hurt?

Reactions: 1 user
I am novice in this field and need some help here, I just followed your instructions and created these with similar materials like 32guage copper wire approx. 35 rounds on a cd case, 200 microns acetate sheet etc which were available at my home. But the sound I am getting is too low (really hard to hear). Please help in troubleshooting the problem. Thanks in advance.

I am novice in this field and need some help here, I just followed your instructions and created these with similar materials like 32guage copper wire approx. 35 rounds on a cd case, 200 microns acetate sheet etc which were available at my home. But the sound I am getting is too low (really hard to hear). Please help in troubleshooting the problem. Thanks in advance.
I agree with Peril, you may have a magnet phase problem. Those little buggers are always flipping over and spinning around.

Other than that I would guess you have a short in the winding. Use a meter to check the windings.

I’ve been pondering this design all day 🤔 (These are hypothetical questions, not directed at you OP.) What would happen if it was lengthened to say 6 feet tall? I guess it could be a full range tower. What if it was widened to two feet wide and made of thicker material? Could it be a dipole subwoofer or would it be more efficient? What if you used the 2’ wide on the bottom, an eight inch, then a three inch, then a one inch for a four way? What if neodymium magnets were used for higher flux density? Should there be damping (wool) on the inside, or on the outside edges? What are the effects of a wider design, heavier material, stiffer material. You said paper was unsatisfactory, I’m wondering why? Can you imagine towers of beryllium? O.O Does the shape of the radiation surface matter? Does it have to be cardioid or two cylinders? Does a baffle help or hurt?
I know it's been a while, but did you ever try to make a 6' version?

My biggest concern would be that it would sag in the middle as its held up on the outside.

No I haven’t, sorry. I’ve been working on a traditional looking wtw where the woofers don’t come alive until I pump some power into them. Good for a pro sound setup, I guess. Anyway …

Thanks for the reminder! I haven’t forgotten about it, I’m just doing other things. I don’t think sagging will be an issue with a longer diaphragm because the force should be the same per length of the radiator. Larger, heavier diameters will sag, so there is a limit to how big the diaphragm radius can be. Of course that depends on the materials used. I’m not sure how I will get the voice coils made. I’ll obviously have to make a jig or maybe run smaller ones parallel and series? I need a source for magnets, lots of magnets. Thanks, man, you got me thinking and thinking is good!