Diy 3 way reference monitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys! Recording studio novic here!

I wanted to build my own signal chain, custom Mic, custom ADC and pair of Custom 3 way reference monitors. I'll be using DSP to flatten out the eq , but I ran into a snag and I'm not understanding what amount of power will be acceptable for this 3 way config. What's the minimum wattage required to run these 3?

Dayton Audio DC25T-8 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter

Dayton Audio RSS210HF-4 8" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
This is not an easy question to answer and to some point you'll want to work it out with real signals in your room. I notice your woofer is not particularly efficient, but the tweeters may only need a few Watts. Are you planning on building the six amps yourself?

I was going to get a prebuilt amplifier, I see RMS is only 250 for the 8 inch so I was hoping to get away with less. I guess I'm just not understanding how wattage works with amplifiers , I hear ppl saying o only need 150 per channel, while others say I need alot more
This is not an easy question to answer and to some point you'll want to work it out with real signals in your room. I notice your woofer is not particularly efficient, but the tweeters may only need a few Watts. Are you planning on building the six amps yourself?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
only 250 for the 8 inch
What matters is whether it will get to your wanted levels, how much gain you need for that and how much amp power you need. There isn't very much difference between a 100W and a 200W, or a 400W. Even 50W could probably get you started. There is still the question of what the driver can do, how well it can reach your wanted levels, and it may not have anything to do with 250W. It may have a little to do with the box you build.

Your 8" has high excursion. This way you can move air like a larger driver but can fit it into a smaller box. The price to pay for the smaller box in this case is that it needs a bigger amp.

Designing a "3-way reference monitor" and with a 8" woofer is not a good starting point for a novice! Too much to learn fast. Please spend at least few weeks searching the web for projects of experienced diyers and learning the basics and reasoning for each speaker construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.