Dirt cheap Heavy Duty 18" PA driver, MCM 55-2994, likely weak motor? Still good value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have another driver to add to our super bargain discussion:D

Parts Express has the PRV 18SW2000 on sale for $170:bigeyes: With Free shipping:)
Some of the products from Brazil have turned out to be really good so this driver might be worth checking out ..

Based upon it's published specs it appears to have a strong motor and a respectable amount of xmax for a budget pro driver.

The only vital parameter that was missing from PRV's list for this driver was the voicecoil inductance measurement, so i just sent a message off to Parts Express asking them to measure one of those 18SW2000s and get back to me with the "Le", specifically at 1khz ...

PRV Audio 18SW2000 18" High Power Pro Audio Subwoofer 8 Ohm

MMJ,

They also have the PA Series of woofers (e.g., PA310, PA380 and PA460) on sale.

So many good Dayton deals!!

I have been working on these broadband series-tuned 6th order designs like my Karlflex so i am always keeping an eye out for good deals on drivers that have strong motors and fairly tight suspensions ...... The PRV 18 and the Dayton PA310 both meet those requirements:) (and so would the PA385)

Those other drivers like the PA380, PA460 or PA465 might be more appropriate for usage in Bass Reflex cabinets or possibly even some sort of Front Loaded Horn ... Beau weren't you planning on building some kick-bins or midbass horns for the PA380s?

Last edited:
So many good Dayton deals!!

I have been working on these broadband series-tuned 6th order designs like my Karlflex so i am always keeping an eye out for good deals on drivers that have strong motors and fairly tight suspensions ...... The PRV 18 and the Dayton PA310 both meet those requirements:) (and so would the PA385)

Those other drivers like the PA380, PA460 or PA465 might be more appropriate for usage in Bass Reflex cabinets or possibly even some sort of Front Loaded Horn ... Beau weren't you planning on building some kick-bins or midbass horns for the PA380s?

Yes, and they model well - believe it or not - in 1.7 ft^3 with one 4" diameter port, 4" long. Tunes it to about 55 Hz (if I recall correctly) - and should do nicely between 60 Hz and 400 Hz.

There is a guy on AVS using the PA460 as dedicated midbass. Lucky.

Yes, and they model well - believe it or not - in 1.7 ft^3 with one 4" diameter port, 4" long. Tunes it to about 55 Hz (if I recall correctly) - and should do nicely between 60 Hz and 400 Hz.

There is a guy on AVS using the PA460 as dedicated midbass. Lucky.

Beau ,
High passing that cab at 60hz with a sharp filter should allow it to handle a very substantial amount of power :)

the "published specs" changed radically. It was originally identified as a wide discrepancy between parts express's posted specs, and the ones on the dayton website.

original specs were something like 28hz fs, .33 qts

now published specs are 32.3 fs, .57 qts, amongts other variations.

Here is a single sheet Dayton PA460 PA bass box. I built four and use them for parties and outdoor festival stuff. Sunday I had them outside and was never able to turn them fully up, but they were doing 95 dB at 20 meters with no strain. They are not the most capable, but they were cheap, efficient, and at 85 pounds each, I can carry them myself in a pinch. The measurements are outdoor, not at 1 meter. First plot is a single; second is all four in parallel.

Marc

PA460 stack.jpg

View attachment PA460 sub cutlist.pdf

single pa460 w damping.png

pa460 quad distortion.png

Last edited:
The box is 30" D x 26.5" W x 20" H outside. It is 6.7 ft^3 (189 liters) internal not including ports and 9.2 ft^3 outside including the 1.5" recess to protect the driver and grill. It is tuned to 36 Hz measured. I was shooting for 42 Hz tuning but missed on the effect of the walls on the triangular ports and decided to leave it. The four ports together are like a 11.25" x 9" diameter port (8 inch square port).

With 42 Hz tuning they can each handle 340 W minimum at 60 Hz without exceeding Xmax (6 mm) and with the 36 Hz tuning they handle 280 W minimum at 54 Hz and 500 W above 80 Hz. One will make 123 dB and four will do 135 dB at a meter (138 dB above 80 Hz). They can be built for under $200 each including wood and hardware, and the drivers are on sale for under $90 now. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it is one version of a cheap 18" sub.

Marc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.