• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Direct Drive DSD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I for one am perfectly happy with on the fly upsampling to dsd. Also keeps open the possibility of using online streaming services at a higher then default playback quality. No beta program I can signup for? [emoji6]

Our biggest thing to look forward to in this department is the Roon integration with HQplayer. Sounds like they are in the final stages of completion. Roon also integrates Tidal into the SOTA GUI. So this will open the possibility of performing HQplayer SRC/SDM on Tidal streams, as well as have the best GUI for all data sources.

You can follow the progress at this link:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/hq-player-integration/1656/70

Sounds great. But your limited to DSD only. So you would have to offline convert all of your PCM. This would take a pile of space up on the SD cards if you have an extensive redbook collection. So I still think a reclocker with onboard SDM/SRC would be a cool option. As long as the chip sounded great. With the AK4137, if a native DSD file is played, it completely bypasses the chip anyways. So you can still use HQplayer, or offline convert, with no detrimental effect from having the chip in the signal path if you choose to do so.

For things like AirPlaying from Apple devices, streaming services etc, it would really be handy. I use a really good AirPlay receiver software called Airserver to airplay Tidal from the IPhone app, and it sounds really good. But unfortunately no possibility to route it through HQplayer SDM/SRC.

If you are using an SDcard player this way, you will have shuffle disks just like CD/ Vinyl. As someone put it - a digital turntable

Your plans are great but the scope is beyond the current plans of this project - just a DAC 'cell' only. Best to start a new project and pitch it to the crowd, above all see if we can get all the development work crowd-funded :)

If you are using an SDcard player this way, you will have shuffle disks just like CD/ Vinyl. As someone put it - a digital turntable

Your plans are great but the scope is beyond the current plans of this project - just a DAC 'cell' only. Best to start a new project and pitch it to the crowd, above all see if we can get all the development work crowd-funded :)

There are quite a few DAC's in the works with plans to use the AK4137. Once we get feedback on these, it will be helpful to determine whether or not these have a hope in hell on being in the same league as HQplayer SDM/SRC.

Here's an example of a chipless pure DSD DAC, with tubed I/V that's going to use the AK4137. I was chatting with a guy who's going to have one soon, and is going to directly compare HQplayer to the AK4137.

http://www.amaremusica.pl/tube-dac-dsd/

Last edited:
Ak4137 is a new $5 hardware pcm to dsd conversion chip?
Sounds like a pretty ideal front end option for a direct drive dsd dac like this.

We will see. Maybe if enough interest is sparked for a group buy, we can get Acko to build a SRC/SDM reclocker combo board! :) If DSD is fed through it, it's bypassed anyways. So no drawbacks in the SQ department. But still allows PCM input.

You can count me in for 1.

Last edited:
We will see. Maybe if enough interest is sparked for a group buy, we can get Acko to build a SRC/SDM reclocker combo board! :) If DSD is fed through it, it's bypassed anyways. So no drawbacks in the SQ department. But still allows PCM input.

You can count me in for 1.
That's a very attractive proposition indeed and the missing link for a project like this. Pure dsd is great for the future and a small handful of music enthusiasts, but most people have a large red book pcm music collection and I can't see a better way to get the absolute best out of that than a conversion to dsd and a subsequently pure as possible digital to analog conversion.
Count me in for at least 2 if this becomes a practical possibility :)

All options are on the table.
First, I need to get the DAC engine sorted. Almost done with the Vol control. It does not have a backend processor so you can practically pick and choose what you want to mate with it. Right now the choice of SRC/SDM is HQPlayer or feed native DSD direct.
Likewise AK4137 as a chip based SRC/SDM module can feed this DAC. But going through the specs I do not think it can match the HQPlayer if you are shooting for the best. There are some complexities with the integration so it is not straightforward as throwing the chip in. It is not standalone - requires MCU to set registers before it works and all the dynamics on-the-fly! So whether it is worth all the effort remains to be seen...

Then add isolator/reclocker

So keeping things modular.

Last edited:

Agree with that approach Acko. If you try to integrate the latest new things into the project scope creep will kill it so best to build a flexible solution one block at a time.

Using this new AK SRC chip can be a follow on add-on module with the advantage that others will have started to learn how to extract the best from it.

On modularity, as you know I'm keen to try a tube-based filter/buffer solution so don't forget to include a means of by-passing your on-board filter. especially for those of us who struggle with smd soldering.

Ray

On modularity, as you know I'm keen to try a tube-based filter/buffer solution so don't forget to include a means of by-passing your on-board filter. especially for those of us who struggle with smd soldering.

Ray

Noted :)

Also, the output side has a flexible interface. Can directly drive SE or BAL power amps (even low impedance types). If you prefer the sound color of tubes, transformers, filters or preamp - not a problem connecting these to the outputs of this DAC en route

Also, the output side has a flexible interface. Can directly drive SE or BAL power amps (even low impedance types). If you prefer the sound color of tubes, transformers, filters or preamp - not a problem connecting these to the outputs of this DAC en route

The outputs can also be driven in current mode. So if you fancy IV Converters/OpAmps :p

All options are on the table.
First, I need to get the DAC engine sorted. Almost done with the Vol control. It does not have a backend processor so you can practically pick and choose what you want to mate with it. Right now the choice of SRC/SDM is HQPlayer or feed native DSD direct.
Likewise AK4137 as a chip based SRC/SDM module can feed this DAC. But going through the specs I do not think it can match the HQPlayer if you are shooting for the best. There are some complexities with the integration so it is not straightforward as throwing the chip in. It is not standalone - requires MCU to set registers before it works and all the dynamics on-the-fly! So whether it is worth all the effort remains to be seen...

Then add isolator/reclocker

Is it possible to use the I2C from the USB interface to control the functions within the AK4137?

I know it should be using an XMOS chip, but Amanero may need custom firmware.

Great thing about this chip is you still can use HQplayer. The chip will just be bypassed. But when you want to source your data from elsewhere, it's the next best thing. Actually only way besides using native DSD files, or other PC based SDM/SRC.

Maybe we will be shocked and it will be better than HQplayer :).

Just heard pricing on that Amare DAC. 3300 euros. So not cheap and it's using that chip. They are talking it up like it's gonna kill the Lampi's.

Last edited:
Great thing about this chip is you still can use HQplayer. The chip will just be bypassed. But when you want to source your data from elsewhere, it's the next best thing. Actually only way besides using native DSD files, or other PC based SDM/SRC.

Maybe we will be shocked and it will be better than HQplayer :).

FYI, if transcoding Redbook this chip limits to DSD128 output. I would like to take it to DSD256 to push out the noise further

Bypassing is not automatic, other glue logic needed to switch

There are other constraints of this resource limited chip so I am a bit ambivalent. Besides you have already compared HQplayer's SRC/SDM with ESS9018 and found the former better in terms of SQ

Anyway, still considering a separate add-on module with this AK4137 chip Estimated price ~$200 +/- % closer to release next spring. Would you preorder with commitment and upfront payment? I will need min qty:30 to cover costs

FYI, if transcoding Redbook this chip limits to DSD128 output. I would like to take it to DSD256 to push out the noise further

Bypassing is not automatic, other glue logic needed to switch

There are other constraints of this resource limited chip so I am a bit ambivalent. Besides you have already compared HQplayer's SRC/SDM with ESS9018 and found the former better in terms of SQ

Anyway, still considering a separate add-on module with this AK4137 chip Estimated price ~$200 +/- % closer to release next spring. Would you preorder with commitment and upfront payment? I will need min qty:30 to cover costs

Oh I thought it upsampled Redbook to DSD 256 as well.

I know I compared the ESS 9018 SDM/SRC to HQplayer, but to be fair, the 9018 is 8 year old technology. That's a long time in this field. The AK4137 was just released this month. So they might have an edge over the 9018 in this area.

I will commit if I hear positive feedback from the Amare. I also know another guy who has some he's gonna test soon. So maybe it would be best to hear a bit of feedback from others, before committing to this. Spring is a long time, there will be feedback on this chip within the next couple weeks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.