Dipole idea: mount midrange drivers back to back without baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a test baffle with a placeholder plate for the midrange, in the weekend I will try to do some polar responses and see if it measures as nice as I predict it will =)

attachment.php

If it's as my prediction it will be close enough to -6 db @ 60 degrees all the way up to 15 khz in all directions.

Your tweeter arrangement reminds of the original Bose 601 of the 70s...I guess in that case the 601 too would qualify as omnidirectional.
Are you planning to wire all the tweeters in the same phase ? SL found better results with the Orion rear tweeter wired out of phase FYI...cant explain why !

The differing subjective perceptions of 2 back to back enclosure mounted drivers, wired in bipole vs dipole phase , even when used for the mid to high spectrum is very interesting...have not seen a good explanation though ??!!

Last edited:
Your tweeter arrangement reminds of the original Bose 601 of the 70s...I guess in that case the 601 too would qualify as omnidirectional.
Are you planning to wire all the tweeters in the same phase ? SL found better results with the Orion rear tweeter wired out of phase FYI...cant explain why !

The differing subjective perceptions of 2 back to back enclosure mounted drivers, wired in bipole vs dipole phase , even when used for the mid to high spectrum is very interesting...have not seen a good explanation though ??!!

Probably has to do with needing to be out of phase to sum correctly in the rear lobe, otherwise you'll have a cancellation notch in the rear lobe.

In the test the rear ring was out of phase. My new omnis will be monopoles so they will only have a single ring of four on each speaker and all of them will be in phase yes.

And what it resembles the most is the pop box =)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.