Digitalized music causing stress??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No instrument can give harmonics out of tune with fundamentals.The laws of physics forbid it. The fundamentals may be out of tune.The harmonics level varies with their own phase which is again governed by the laws of physics, but we can only measure that once we translate sounds in electrons movement and from that point on we deal with the electronics laws .There's no harmonics out of tune with the fundamental anywhere in nature...
You really got to read up. Only very few instruments produce exact (phase-locked) harmonics. Especially all instruments that work with mechanically moving parts have harmonics that are always off. Notably the physics of plucked strings is quite complex and a lot of strange phenomena can happen like multiple close-spaced harmonics which will result in beating, etc.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Ok...So...the cartridge cantilever is also out of tune with itself and the elastic damping is slightly changing the frequencies on the vinyl and all the music we listen is horrible!
Well...the electrons seem to be a bit immune to this out of stretch theory, and once we translate the mechanical vibration of cartridge or a microphone (whatever they may be and we like) into electrical domain we are finally allowed to ruin everything.I suppose Sting stinks at tuning its guitars...Mark Knopfler too...But we can still appreciate the electronic equipment quality by its THD, IMD and noise spectra.

I blame DiyA for that [digitization]
I had the enlightenment during the 2 minute server maintenance, when space age pictures are displayed. It's all about mainframes, monitors...
The occasional view of those pictures, at subliminal level, might cause the observer to believe that this is the future pictured in there, and he/she might be in obligation to follow the rules of the times. Wasn't it Sign Of The Times ?
So the future has been selected, between the infinite possible futures, to be this one, when in the Eighties the [digitalized] had become the perfect source.

But what you describe is also happening in music with almost all instruments. So how come music doesn't make us sick?
Has this ever been tested in a controlled way? Or is this one of those cases 'Everybody knows that...'?

Happy Pascha!

Jan
Nope. There is HUGE difference: in real music the harmonics are modulates by amplitude (equal to adding two smaller harmonics) or by frequency, or most often - by both - BY SLOW SMOOTH ANALOGUE MANNER.
Instead to slow motion natural vibrato - the squeesed (by digital) spectra shifts up and down in a RANDOM and fast MANNER.
Therefore the conventional instruments with small count of harmonics are effected time to time by digitazing - in a randon way.
And there is a problem with the most often-frequent-modulatied, the most changing musical instrument - the human's VOICE.
The speed of vibrato - the amplitude-frequency modulation - of human voice is too fast for modern digitazing music. Threfore the voice is getting coarse (hoarse, rasty, raspy). There was a whole rising generation of modern popular singers with ORIGINALLY hoarse (raspy) voices - Chris Norman, Axl Rose, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Tyler, Bryan Adams, later records of Ella, etc.
You see? The art of singing ADAPTED to sampled tape studio recording indusrty and later - for digitazed music.

Last edited:
So, it is being claimed that converting an analogue signal into digital forms adds artifacts that affect the signal's harmonic frequencies.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? Have you had your papers peer reviewed by others? If yes, did they arrive at the same conclusion?

Readers would be in a better position to discuss this if they know the precise mathematical tools, theorems and methodologies, that were used in your analysis.
Me? Are you asking me? I am a poor engineer in destroyed Ukraine.
You have paid 100 000 000 dollars each year to Fraunhoffer Institute for 17 years in a row for stupid MP3 format. You have paid billions dollars to Sony, Philips and Toshiba for CD-DVD royalties.
Ask them.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Fact is, none of this makes any difference. If it's a good tune, it's a good tune, on a cheap poundshop transistor radio, MP3 or mega expensive studio monitoring system. Your brain does more to interpret the sound than any current audio recording/replay tech.

al/getting old, deaf and grumpy. :D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The speed of vibrato - the amplitude-frequency modulation - of human voice is too fast for modern digitazing music. Therefor the voice is getting coarse (hoarse, rasty, raspy).

What nonsense is this? A 20+kHz bandwidth and not able to follow the vibrato of a human voice?

Anyway, even when all of what you say has some truth in it (and most doesn't imho), why would that make us sick? Do you have any reference to that?
I can only speak for myself and my immediate friends but I have never felt sick from digitized music, nor any of my friends as far as I know.

Also, what you call analog music like LP is overwhelmingly digitized somewhere in the process and DA converted for cutting. Unless they use a modern cutting lathe which will directly accept digital audio.

So, for your statements to be true there are several inconsistencies and contradictions.

Edit: if you're really, really interested in some controlled testing related to this, I offer you this: Analogue Hearts, Digital Minds | Linear Audio NL .

Jan

Last edited:
What nonsense is this? A 20+kHz bandwidth and not able to follow the vibrato of a human voice?

Anyway, even when all of what you say has some truth in it (and most doesn't imho), why would that make us sick? Do you have any reference to that?
I can only speak for myself and my immediate friends but I have never felt sick from digitized music, nor any of my friends as far as I know.
Jan
The pain depends on the person and the time of impact of digital:
The more digital sound - the more pain and more heroin.
America's addiction epidemic | Us-news | The Guardian
heroin-graph.jpg

"Bands & Drugs: Talented Musicians Falling Into Addiction"
Bands & Drugs: Talented Musicians Falling Into Addiction
Heroine-02.jpg
"Why do successful musicians almost always do hard drugs? Does abuse of controlled substances enhance creativity? What message does it send to young, impressionable minds? Are we supporting this deviant behavior by buying their music?"
Why do successful musicians almost always do hard drugs? Does abuse of controlled substances enhance creativity? What message does it send to young, impressionable minds? Are we supporting this deviant behavior by buying their music? - Quora

Why Are So Many Musicians Drug Addicts?
Why Are So Many Musicians Drug Addicts? | Thought Catalog
Heroine-03.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.