Digital input toggle switch

You want a commercial unit or to build one?

Basically, coaxial SPDIF uses an 75-ohm RF transmission line coax. If you want a mechanical switch and you want to keep impedances matched, then you may be looking at some money. If you want to do it yourself, the question is passive or active? Logic chips can be used as switches, but the 75-ohm line needs to converted to logic first, then after switching, it needs to be converted back to 75-ohm with a SPDIF transmitter.

A passive switch that ignores impedance matching could probably work in some cases, but may increase jitter even if it does work.

Last edited:
"You could use something like this (with some RF adapters from SMA to RCA, or to BNC):"

Found one for $10 on ebay. Cheap enough to try.

From the look of it, not sure how it toggles? Besides the connector adapters, what else does it need?

I am kind of a less is more kind of person, so, not sure this thing looks too transparent not to mention adapters etc.

Let me elaborate on my situation. I use a network renderer to provide a digitil signal to my DAC via BNC input.

I would like to add a another input that would come from a computer. I am manually changing input sources currently. Its not that bad as I only use the computer occassionally for streaming movies, youtube etc.. but... if I could add a simple and transparent switch (not another box or other active solutions) then that would be cool.

I don't want to compromise the current sonics as I have things sounding pretty darn good.

But, I'm not quite as picky with the computer source. Getting the 3-D imaging and a pristine decay just so, isn't that important w the computer... so not sure if there is a way to keep one signal unmolested by more switches or not. But if its cheap enough I can always give it a try and see (hear) how it goes.

I would use asynchronous USB, clocked synchronously with the dac clock. Add galvanic isolation followed by reclocking, and that's about the best we can do today. If using SPDIF, the only way to really de-jitter it is to use a good FIFO reclocker with the output synchronous with the dac clock. Anything else can be expected to produce some sonic compromise.

Looks like Audio Note allows either SPDIF or balanced AES. Both use the same audio data with embedded clock. AES is the professional version for running longer wires and for use in more electrically noisy environments. AES also can contain different non-audio data, or not; IIRC it also uses a bit higher voltage signal. There is some interfacing info in the SRC4392 datasheet, starting on page 43 of the pdf. https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/s...09020&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F