Digital Designs D4.90 in protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Drive signal at the base of each bank's driver transistors. I assume my problem is downstream of this point?

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_004656.jpg
    IMG_20201027_004656.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 30
ALOT happened since then, but in post #6, that drive signal was with capacitors loaded into each bank. As soon as I put FETs back in the amp, squealing and screeching... I tried several different FETs hoping that vwas the problem but they all had the transformer squealing. Two CS50Ns that I had lying around allowed the amp to power up almost silently, albeit with high current draw. Right now, the transformer is silent when the amp is on, but the mains limiters are glowing.

The non-square drive signal is coming out of the driver transistors connected to Pin 11 of the SG3525.

So, I changed those 2 driver transistors. The amp powers up with no noticeable current draw as the limiters are not illuminated. The drive signal however is showing both traces locked together. Is this right?

Amp is playing all channels. Reconnecting Q517 causes the protection light to illuminate but amp plays unaffected. Rail voltage is now +31/-26.

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_014615.jpg
    IMG_20201027_014615.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 41
Something weird is going on with the scope. The red trace is moving across the screen, but the yellow trace just shows a square wave without any movement. Swapping them doesn't make a difference...I will reboot and test again tomorrow.

How do I track down the protection and rail voltage issues?

Just asking, can this amp use IRF3205 and 47ohm resistors? I know the original IRF1404 has higher voltage and current ratings, but I put those ones from this amp into a different amp and I have no more IRF1404. Will IRF3205 not be strong enough for this amp?

Picture is drive signal at gates of FETs. No significant current draw. When measured using secondary ground, rail voltage is +/-29v. Q517 is marked ASG which should be a KTA1504, of which I have none. It measures the same in either direction from base to collector so I replaced it with a MMBTA56 which stopped the protection LED. Amp powers up and operates properly when tested. Just to fully populate the power supply and remove the driver board jumpers and test again.

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_095000.jpg
    IMG_20201027_095000.jpg
    980.3 KB · Views: 38
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.