Digital active XO+eq using a PC+soundcards+BruteFIR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sangram said:

All right, I now confused. I'll research it a little more, but is anyone running a 24/96 six-channel two way crossover succesfully on a system as on date?

YES - Take a look at http://home.pacbell.net/donwm/

sangram said:

Henckel: I believe that to transfer a wave file, from, say a hard disk, to the soundcard (assuming no CPU processing) takes up 2822 kb/s (1411 kb/s x 2), but if I were to go by your assumption, it would be 352 kb/s (44100 x 4 x 2).

You are mixing up Kbit/second with KByte/second. Both Harddisk transfere rates and PCI Bus speeds are measured in MByte/seconds.

Another issue is that so far nobody has made available a freeware/shareware program for the Windows platform that provides the Crossover function. ( Well the ambiovolver program is there but i have not been able to make it work)

Brutefir is available for the LINUX platform and is reported to be working very well.

What others are using...

sangram said:
Henckel: I believe that to transfer a wave file, from, say a hard disk, to the soundcard (assuming no CPU processing) takes up 2822 kb/s (1411 kb/s x 2), but if I were to go by your assumption, it would be 352 kb/s (44100 x 4 x 2).

agent .5: You, OTOH, you say the processing is dependent entirely on the CPU. Maybe I'm confused by the whole thing, and I don't have the equipment, speakers or amps to biamp, so once my PC arrives I'll have to check it out for myself with some simulations.
At the risk of sounding repetitive, have you checked what kind of CPU speeds others are using with such PC-based filters, and what kinds of channel count, EQ complexity, etc, they are achieving? Some empirical data may go a long way in getting an engineering feel for these performance constraints. :) I don't think we need to look at absolute limits (e.g. PCI bus speed) to get an idea of the constraints... by all accounts, such systems are not hitting absolute system limits even with fairly modest hardware.

Tarun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.