different makes in same speaker ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my eye on a pair of 8ohm drivers rated at 10w to 100w. My plan is to make a 3 way speaker. Is there anything stopping me from buying these and further down the line getting a different manufactured pair of 8 ohm speakers that may be rated at 20w to 110w for example?

No... But if your question is can you drop a different higher quality 8 ohm speaker with higher power handling into the same speaker x-over design without having to change anything else than technically the answer is still no but in practice there are so many parameters that would have to match up precisely that in practice it would be very difficult.

The only time IME that I was able to upgrade a driver without fussing with either the tuning or the x-over is when the original driver manufacturer had updated their cone material without changing anything else.

Hi, it's not clear what you mean !

If you mean, can you put those drivers in a box, & then later change them to different ones ? it depends.

The power rating is not what really matters. The other Specs called Theile/Small parameters are the ones to compare. No 2 different models of drivers will be identical in this respect. In fact many will be vastly different & not be suitable in the same box.

Plus you didn't say if the ones you are considering are Bass or Mid drivers. I presume they are Bass types ? Even so the Mids need to carefully matched to their SEPERATE boxes, using similar methods to designing Bass boxes.

I have my eye on a pair of 8ohm drivers rated at 10w to 100w. My plan is to make a 3 way speaker. Is there anything stopping me from buying these and further down the line getting a different manufactured pair of 8 ohm speakers that may be rated at 20w to 110w for example?

No. Not only because of the above reasons given by others but the impedance, frequency response and driver acoustic offset will all differ and the crossover would have to be redone so they match, if they can be that is.

Thanks for the replies.

What I have in mind is to build a pair of speakers with 3 drivers each, 2 x 6" drivers and 1 tweeter in each box. I was thinking of buying the drivers in pairs (1 driver for each speaker) as and when funds allowed, so the two speaker drivers would be matched albeit from different manufacturers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.