Diamond buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suspect that 100k/11k would have more noise than lower resistances. Try it to hear.
3k/330r would be a quite difficult load for the opamp to drive if there is also a low Zin and some capacitance to be fed. Could the opamp send full voltage signal through without performance deteriorating?
This might be quite difficult (resource expensive) to disprove.

I would be tempted to stick with the 10k/1k1 that is fairly typical of opamp stages.

Did you read the specifications on the op amp? It can drive 600 ohm loads no problem. If you also looked at the schematic you'd see that it was only driving the bases of two transistors directly, which is a very high impedance.

The gainlevel can be found with a trimmer in the feedback (R3) and then replaced with a suitable resistor when the right value is found. It is more whether it should be like 90/9k or9/1k or? to give the best conditions for the LME49720

The only issue I can possibly see is that at very high frequencies beyond the pole of the feedback network (when the bypass cap shorts the large feedback resistor), the op amp will only be driving the lower value resistor. I don't know if this is a big problem though. The LME49720 is rated for driving 600 ohm loads. I would use 9k/1k at most. You can play with various values here:
http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/opampkeisan.htm

With 9k/1k (gain of 10) you can use a 22pF bypass capacitor and make the first pole about 800kHz. The phase shift at 20kHz will be very small, maybe 1 or 2 degrees. It's hard to see from the graph on that page.

With 4k/1k (gain of 5) you can use a 47pF bypass capacitor and make the first pole about 850kHz. Phase shift at 20kHz is about the same as above.

Last edited:
Did you read the specifications on the op amp? It can drive 600 ohm loads no problem. If you also looked at the schematic you'd see that it was only driving the bases of two transistors directly, which is a very high impedance.
does the specification data show how the performance deteriorates as load Z is decreased?

How much does it deteriorate?

Many opamps show a very significant change in performance around about 2k resistive loading.

Add in a bit of capacitance and you may be asking the opamp to do more than what the specification is hiding from potential users.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.