Desktop speakers?

I'm looking to build some speakers for my desktop. I don't really have any tools but am willing to buy some for this purpose.
I listened to some active speakers in the store and was not impressed. (Kali lp-8, neumann kh120)
I also listened to some passive speakers with amplifiers in audiophile stores, but also was not too impressed. I find it hard to justify spending 500€ on speakers and 500€ on an amplifier which doesn't sound much better than random 100€ used speakers with a 100€ used amplifier. And I don't want to go used as I hate dealing with people and risk getting modly or broken equipment.

I'd like to power them with something like Schiit Rekkr or Schiit Gjallahorn. Something small, servicable, okay sounding.
I don't know much about hifi, but seems to me a lot of DIY stuff you guys do here is very efficient, with normal impedance of 8+ ohms, compared to store bought speakers which declare 8 ohms but are actually 3 ohms.

Should I look for a full range or a coaxial driver? My room is quite small so open baffle is out of the question I assume, so some drivers that work in a budget easy to build enclosure would be my best bet I assume.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum location to post this in. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Full range drivers work great for the desktop. In fact I don't see using anything else for the foreseeable future. I've used a variety of 3" & 4" Fostex & Mark Audio drivers in different enclosures.

Currently using Planet10 Mar-Ken7eN speakers similar to one's in the pic. Lots of options.

dMar-Ken7-bamboo.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to reply, so I'll just answer like this.
vinylkid58, Thanks for the suggestion. Would something like Dayton Audio Copperhead set or Markaudio Tozzi One be good?
zman01, I listen to Rock, Jazz, Classical, Electronic and Metal.
I cannot say anything specific as I am not very knowledgeable about HIFI, the Kalis just sounded hollow to me and not very good if that makes any sense. Neumanns sounded small and fatiguing. As I said I'm not experienced enough to make these claims correctly, might have just been the room or even my mood at the time.

Here’s the cute little desktop system I built recently. Dayton 5 1/4 aluminum cone mid bass, and their 2” neo mid/tweet crossed at 400 Hz 3rd order. Difference in sensitivity handles the baffle step. Sub is the cheap 10” GRS high excursion unit, linkwitz transformed flat to 22. Crosses where the mains run out at 60. Home built plate amp on it. I’m using the system with a little tube amp 14WPC. Not much room in my temporary home while the new ones still under construction, so I had to stoop to building some “small” speakers for a change. The speakers themselves didn’t cost $200, and all the amplification from stuff on hand.

Attachments

• ECDB5DD6-F01A-4532-BA34-FD6602EFB68F.jpeg
    ECDB5DD6-F01A-4532-BA34-FD6602EFB68F.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 3ED33BDB-DB28-4194-9EFC-1FE1EC8CA021.jpeg
    3ED33BDB-DB28-4194-9EFC-1FE1EC8CA021.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 23
Sorry I don't know how to reply, so I'll just answer like this.
vinylkid58, Thanks for the suggestion. Would something like Dayton Audio Copperhead set or Markaudio Tozzi One be good?
zman01, I listen to Rock, Jazz, Classical, Electronic and Metal.
I cannot say anything specific as I am not very knowledgeable about HIFI, the Kalis just sounded hollow to me and not very good if that makes any sense. Neumanns sounded small and fatiguing. As I said I'm not experienced enough to make these claims correctly, might have just been the room or even my mood at the time.

samsamurai,

I like rock and metal (and a little bit of jazz and classical too :) ).

You mentioned "Desktop" - it means that these speakers will be on your desk and you will be listening in nearfield (say 30 inches to 40 inches listening distance)?

Btw, any loudspeaker you liked listening to?

Hello @samsamurai !

Here's my personal DIY take about desktop speakers : The Cube

0EIrMb-The-CUBE-speakers.jpg

Above with a Marantz 2025, below with a Marantz 2250B...

1716139776261.png

OK, these are not active loudspeakers, so you need an ampfifier, as you can see. They nor are put on a desktop here, but their cubic size of 200x200x200mm would nonetheless allow it... If your desktop is reasonably wide enough ! ;)

I made them from beechwood glulam, that I bought and have cut in a local DIY supermarket. The finish is natural oiling, after sanding and radiusing the edges :

xFLlKb-C7.jpg

daimKb-C8.jpg

VSDwKb-finition-huile-siccative-SYNTILOR-1.jpg

Detail about Xover and speakers :

Q8ltQb-P1180696.jpg

T

Last edited: