designing a sub and fullrange box for several speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok so according to my newfound ability to use winisd i find that with a 70 litre box tuned at 65Hz with a 4 inch port with a length of 0.27 inches i will be getting +3 db at about 90 Hz
EDIT
this may be wrong but im new to WinISD and i had to use the beta cuz alpha doesnt have the 2226H driver in it...
Remember i would like alot of chest bass cuz i like to feel it and hear it because i listen to electronic music like Daft Punk alot.

mulletdude said:
ok so according to my newfound ability to use winisd i find that with a 70 litre box tuned at 65Hz with a 4 inch port with a length of 0.27 inches i will be getting +3 db at about 90 Hz
EDIT
this may be wrong but im new to WinISD and i had to use the beta cuz alpha doesnt have the 2226H driver in it...
Remember i would like alot of chest bass cuz i like to feel it and hear it because i listen to electronic music like Daft Punk alot.
how big is 70 liters in cubic feet ?
Why not build it tuned to 40-50 hz ?

mulletdude said:
nice... i still dont know what to build or what with because i used almost all the materials i said i had in the first post on the wicked one and then salvaged a bunch for the current box with the 2 12's in it and i dont have enough material to rebuild it for the 1 15.

Maybe you could throw in some spare drivers and sell that wicked ?

Why dont you buy a cardboard 15" sonatube (the cardboard tubes they pour concrete in) and build it with that
Home depot only has to 12" but can get 15" .
I would try somewhere else before I waited for a ordered item .

mulletdude said:
no the wicked one has been pulled apart to build the current box... i wouldnt seel it even for $500. i might be able to go to lafarge concrette and get a 15 inch sono. but i will call around do you know how much it would cost?

I think they are like $10 . maybe you can find a damaged one !
if you can get 18" it would be not as tall . Easier to mount the driver too .
I think tubes sound better to !
I guess it has to do with NO parallel walls .

mulletdude said:
these will be sub woofers when im done no matter what they are now...

This might be the funniest quote I've seen on diyAudio to date. Thanks for the laugh, made my evening more enjoyable.

There are woofers and then there are SubWoofers. Size does not dictate what it is. It sounds like the JBL's are ProAudio style woofers which means they can extend higher up out of the sub frequency range, close to 350hz or so. They provide the chest thump bass very well but usually do not extend low like you need for HT. They are usually better for music though and are typically very efficient.
If you cross them over any higher than ~150hz you will need to have them as close as possible to the mid and tweeter. If you build a box for them that is placed away from the mains then cross them around 80hz or so. These things should pound with 100 watts and the rest of your system will need lots of power to keep up.
You might be able to mount these OB(open baffle) looking at the volume range they are asking for, 3 - 10 cuft.
Is it safe to assume you don't have a credit card? A blessing in disguise wheather you agree or not. Keep up the hard work and keep scrounging for materials.

:D :D

901Fixer said:

This might be the funniest quote I've seen on diyAudio to date. Thanks for the laugh, made my evening more enjoyable.

There are woofers and then there are SubWoofers. Size does not dictate what it is. It sounds like the JBL's are ProAudio style woofers which means they can extend higher up out of the sub frequency range, close to 350hz or so. They provide the chest thump bass very well but usually do not extend low like you need for HT. They are usually better for music though and are typically very efficient.
If you cross them over any higher than ~150hz you will need to have them as close as possible to the mid and tweeter. If you build a box for them that is placed away from the mains then cross them around 80hz or so. These things should pound with 100 watts and the rest of your system will need lots of power to keep up.
You might be able to mount these OB(open baffle) looking at the volume range they are asking for, 3 - 10 cuft.
Is it safe to assume you don't have a credit card? A blessing in disguise wheather you agree or not. Keep up the hard work and keep scrounging for materials.

:D :D

The response starts at at 30 hz on those .
I read of someone who built 2 bandpass subs tuned at diff freq (like one 20-60hx and the other 65-100 hz) to build the perfect sub .
I dont know how it went but its a good idea .
I think the 65+ range was a 12" .
Another persons iso with the JBL 15's was 10 cubic (big iso) .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.