Denon DCD 1500, one channel only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I just picked up a denon dcd-1500, but there is only sound coming out of the right channel. I read somewhere that it may be a problem with the DAC? Anybody know where that's located inside the unit?
I also saw that the dcd-1500 uses an PCM54HP-K. Is there any difference between that and a PCM54HP? I ask because I saw that the non-K version is available at mouser, while I can't find any mention anywhere fo the K version. Thanks

Russell

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, I used to own a DCD1500 (the original not the mk2) and it was a great player. I don't know what you have checked or what test equipment you have, but from years of experience in the repair trade go for the easy things first. I would check very carefully the print around the output sockets, you can't always tell by looking either, check on a meter if possible. Let us know what test gear you have, meter ,scope etc. I can't remember now what the output Op-Amps were or even if there were 2 or 4 of them (duals or singles), they are the 8 legged I/C,s near the output sockets. If you post what they are it might help with faultfinding this one.
Regards Karl

Thanks for responding. Just now I was poking around inside of it to check the connections of everything. I noticed that the ground connection between Left DAC and the corresponding silver box thing was not there. I turned it upside down and noticed that there's a crack in the PCB, going right between where I was testing. Probably headed for the junk heap unfortunately.

"Silver box thing" - not technical. Corresponding Silver box thing - semi technical.

Regarding fixing it: I was wondering about that. The board is probably just one layer, huh? Then I could just solder the visible traces together? Never thought of doing that, but seems easy enough. Is that what you'd suggest?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yep, Single sided board, gentle scrape the tracks each side of break with small knife or similar, you have to get to clean copper about 5 mm each side of crack. Tin the copper with soldering iron. Get some thin wire solid best, if stranded twist tightly and tin this as well. Bend a 10 mm length at 90 degrees, lay over break and apply iron then cut, work neatly, no shorts or blobs. If the crack looks like could spread you can drill small hole in PCB at end of crack to stop further spread.
Good luck, and what were those OpAmps they used, can't remember now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.