Denon 3910 Schematic needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Just bought a 2nd hand 3930 and would like to see if mods can be done (comparison to a Meridian player was unfavorable!). So if anyone can send me the 3910 files, I would be grateful. They should share most of the schematics, shouldn't they?

Thanks

Alain

k e p a o n e @ y a h o o . f r

Denon players and receivers, like many other consumer devices, are plagued by cheap OpAmps. I don't know why. On mine (DVD2930) I have replaced all of the output OpAmps with LM4562 or LME49722. With sensible improvements in my opinion - BA15218 just won't cut it.
Also I found out some empty placeholders for capacitors on the +/-15V rails - I have used some 68uF/16V Nichicon's.

I am attaching a cut from the DAC part of DVD3930. First it is from 5.1 channels DAC and next ones from stereo mix part for Japan (second one) and EU/US (last one). Notice the use of a single DAC per channel (in dual-mono) for the stereo-outputs versus one DAC for two channels in the 5.1 side.

Attachments

• 3930.jpg
    3930.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 3930_2.PNG
    3930_2.PNG
    103.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 3930_3.PNG
    3930_3.PNG
    101 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Well i don't have a 3930 yet. I want to pick one up second-hand.
The 3930 improved on many weak points of the 3910.
Like the clock, separate audio psu, balanced stereo dac, video. But the output section is still very much the same.

For the european version disconnect the scart (if you don't use it)
remove the muting transistors If you don't mind some plopping sounds at turn off/on

remove the output capacitors (only if you have a input capacitor in your amp). If you don't, change them to a mcp type of good quality of about 10uF. (They are rather large). Of all the various mods i did to a 2910, changing the output capacitors was the only one where i could hear the difference between before and after.

If your able to (de)solder smd parts, you could do some opamp swapping.

Hi,
Still the 3930 sounds weak compared to, say, a Meridian CD player. The SPDIF output straight to a DCX2496 sounded rather dull.
If you want a universal player with very good audio capabilities, I believe you should look at the €€€ audio makers (Meridian, Esoteric, etc.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.