Denafrips discrete R2R Multibit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Both Soekris and Denafrips (afaik) are Sign Magnitude DAC's, they don't need that precise resistors as a non Sign Magnitude DAC's, like the TotalDAC.

For people that still don't understand the very significant difference, please read up on it. Short differences:

Non Sign Magnitude: Distortion is relative to full signal level, so increases with low levels.
Sign Magnitude: Distortion is relative to actual signal level, so stays low at low levels.

And 0.005% initial precision resistor is kinda irrelevant as Denafrips (according to their website) use 10 ppm/C temp coefficient parts anyway, it's more for marketing....

Me I don't care, I'm sourcing parachut curses to land in your island garden with my DAC one day! You will hear yourself ! Just need some bigger foam pad for my AYA box lol !

Of course if I was rich I will drop with a complete philarmonic grup of musicians... but more expensive and need more Nasi Goreng than one guest, lol !

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Another difference in the resistor network is Soekris use LVC shift ic with 4V and Ares uses VHC with 6.9V. I wonder if that gives a difference in sound.

The LVC types have lower output impedance and are faster, while the VHC can tolerate a little higher voltage, although 6.9V is pretty close to their absolute maximum.... Can't see that by itself it should affect the sound much....

Do you know the resistors values on the Ares ? Probably higher than mine.....

It's all a question about compromises, higher R-2R network resistance means more tolerance to driver impedance, but also higher noise and higher switching feedthough.

The LVC types have lower output impedance and are faster, while the VHC can tolerate a little higher voltage, although 6.9V is pretty close to their absolute maximum.... Can't see that by itself it should affect the sound much....

Do you know the resistors values on the Ares ? Probably higher than mine.....

It's all a question about compromises, higher R-2R network resistance means more tolerance to driver impedance, but also higher noise and higher switching feedthough.

How about adding a mosfet after the LVC logic? Like FDS8958...

PNFET-R2R.jpg

So what is the function of the large capacitor bank? Is it for vref?

I did a quick check of the inside earlier, some of the rolls of cap bank are for each of the five lt1763 (1.8v, 3.3V, 5V) post decoupling. I think there is one rolls for pre decoupling into those lt1763. And one roll for pre regulator of the resistor network.

Note image is from Ares homepage. If you check the lt1763 from datasheet, you can almost tell where Vout goes to.

Attachments

• img-20170403-232635_orig (1).jpg
    img-20170403-232635_orig (1).jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.