Defiant spelling...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
wintermute, there should be a comma after the very first word in that post -- Yep.

Speaking of pronouncing words directly as they are spelled -- so called phonetic languages (where each letter maps to a non-context dependent phoneme) -- my native language of Bulgarian is 100% like that. This makes spelling and pronouncing non-issues. However, English has a simpler grammar, and overall I find it's the best of languages (though French is better for phone sex, and German makes for a better opera singing language, despite its horrible sound as a spoken language).

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Prune :) looking back at the post I hadn't even noticed until now that I had used Yep!!! hardly a proper word and not a particularly good way to start a sentence!

Wo ming bai Audiousername ;) another example of intonation making a difference in Chinese would be "I would like to meet your sister" changing to "I would like to meet your n!pples ;) "

or calling someones mother a horse ;)

BTW I'm typing this on a machine with no access to spell check so sorry to anyone if there are heaps of typos/errors!

Tony.

Prune said:
pretty ugly

Ah yes, one of my favourite oxymorons.

Chinese: Gung hay fat choy
Which means "I want to meet your sister's n!pples while your mother's riding a horse"
or something like that.

Happy new year to all you chinese DIYers.

Here at one of our universities, they could find only one person to carry the flag and attend the Robbie Burns day birthday celebration so they combined it with the Chinese new year and called it Gung Haggis Fat Choy.

This is true, it happens every year and is televised. It's pretty funny watching the little chinese girls dancing to gaelic music and watching the Scots eat haggis with chopsticks. I'm not sure the traditionalists are on board but it is highly entertaining nonetheless.

Cal

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:

Ah yes, one of my favourite oxymorons.

Which means "I want to meet your sister's n!pples while your mother's riding a horse"
or something like that.

Cal

wonders whether Cal has been sniffing C37 ;)

Having started to learn some Chinese, I now understand why Chinese people learning English make the sort of mistakes they do!

Chinese although very difficult (at least for me) to learn, is in some respects simpler than English.

Tony.

PS. the word whether is another example of a "problem" word in English. Just to confuse non native (and no doubt native) speakers we can throw in wether and weather. All have completely different meanings but all are pronounced the same way :)

If you mean "whether" and "weather," there actually is supposed to be a small difference in the pronunciation, the former taking an aspirant "w." But it's a distinction most often honored in the breach.

I tried to learn Cantonese. It is a language of nine tones, seven of which sound the same to me.

Cal Weldon said:
or something like that.

Erhm... I'm not sure if it means that - but it sounds like Cantonese. A happy Chinese New Year to you too, Cal.

Another problem with the Chinese language - there are so many dialects, most of which are mutually unintelligible!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’m not sure if it is Cantonese or Mandarin, but my GF says it means "Have a prosperous year" .....

I think Cal was having a bit of fun with the examples I gave earlier ;)

IMO the whole dialect thing is amazing; even more amazing is that the written form is the same everywhere, it is just the pronunciation that is different (to the point of being unintelligible to people with a different dialect)!

Tony.

Yep, it's a real difficult language to learn. When I was in China, I was offered a very large amount of food (it's tradition to treat guests well). While I was trying to say the food should be shared, I apparently said that everyone should eat faeces...

Suffice to say there were red faces all around. It was a long time before I tried to use my Chinese again :D

planet10 said:
Nope. Butyl Cellusolve.

Had to get my face outta that stuff. I think I just saw Lucy in the sky with diamonds standing next to Godzilla.

Mind you those fabric surrounds sure are clean.

Cal

Attachments

• img_4512.jpg
    img_4512.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.