Defective Definitive Prosub 100TL

Hi all,

I discovered, during the week, that one of my Definitive Subs had stopped working. I rarely use them unless I'm watching DVDs these days, so the fact one had stopped working, wasn't recognised. I have 2 such subs and I use them as 'stands' for my Paradigm studio 40s in a 'quasi' home theatre setup.
I have opened up the sub and done a few rudimentary tests:
  1. The 'Auto on/off' light continues to glow whether or not there is any input signal (it's supposed to turn the internal amp off in the absence of any sound)
  2. I measured the resistance of the 10 inch subwoofer and it's at around 40 Meg Ohm...
So it looks like the speaker is history (it looks pristine, no visible damage).
On the main PCB there are a pair of circa 3W resistors that become very hot when the AC power is applied. 2 adjacent resistors (1/2W) show signs of overheating as does the junction between the 3W resistors.

Unfortunately in SA we have had 'load shedding' periods for years where we have/don't have power. These have become extreme over the last year or so with only circa 16 hours electricity available over the course of a day. The timing of these 'outages' varies from day to day (as they are 'rotated') so switching electronics on and off when the power is expected to go off/turn on, is not a sensible approach. Thus these subs have remained on and have been subjected to the power availability (there's a large 'thump' when power is restored - at least when the sub is working).
  • So the question arises as to whether to; purchase a new driver and carefully check/repair the electronics
  • Scrap the lot and buy a new subwoofer
  • Build a new active subwoofer and use the existing sub chassis/box (I have a 'spare' stereo 50W amp I could use as a driver in bridge mode I guess).
  • Build a passive subwoofer together with an analogue crossover and volume control, using the existing chassis/box
P.S. I'm more 'into' music than I am to surround sound.

Suggestions, pros/cons, appreciated.
Thanks