Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My best diy set was built around Bohlender Graebener planars. Loved the sound. The crossover was 350hz to 20KHz if i recall correctly. But it was very directional and I've learned that wasn't for me.

If i went back to diy I would go with an active crossover.

Unfortunately, I find diy ends up more expensive overall. If i buy a production speaker, there's an aftermarket for it. You can recoup and upgrade over time.. i can resell my klipsch for what i paid for it. There's no aftermarket for diy speakers. So.. that turned me off to it. Don't mean to be Debbie downer here.. my experience

Here in Melbourne Oz, the price differential between DIY and commercial isn't as pronounced as the cost of drivers, materials and labour (if you need cabinets built) is much higher than in the US. Probably on a par with the UK.

Even using the lowest cost good quality drivers and crossover parts and making the cabinets from MDF, it's almost impossible to make a speaker which sounds good for less than A$200.

My cheapest build, which sounds very good for the price, was designed by Ralph Giralfino of this Forum. It uses the Peerless 830656 mid and the VIFA BC25Tg tweeter: everything up, it cost me $250. The sound is easily as good as anything I've heard in a hi fi store for double the money.

But spend a bit more on DIY and the difference starts to get wider: our Curt Campbell Slapshots MTM (Dayton RS180P, Morel CAT378) cost about A$1300 including professionally made cabinets by a family friend. They sound very, very good indeed with all types of music and are better than anything I've heard in-store for A$3,000 or more.

Geoff

DickHertz - You have a nice pair of Spirit Winds! One of my faves from Jeff.

lucadvt - I heard the Helios at InDIYana 2019 in April. I really liked their tonal balance, and you'd have to split hairs to find flaws. Price of admission is rather steep, but they did sound VERY good.

Later,
Wolf

Thank you Wolf , just yesterday the kit is available from madisound. If someone Will build this or another jeff's kit, please donate to his family....

wolf teeth,
Thank you for your kind comment.

infy,
Most audiophile speakers have ONE location for ultimate imaging. The one exception I have heard is the MBL 101 and the reference model. Same goes for DSP corrected speakers, there is only ONE spot for best imaging. It is just physics, but individual perception will vary depending on room, speaker driver quality, construction and implementation.

As far as DIY speaker projects costing more then store bought speakers, there are many variables. If you are bouncing from different speaker size, driver technologies, driver qualities and on the "constant upgrade" road, then yes DIY can be more money. Most DIY audiophiles don't do enough research, state realistic goals, have a realistic budget, don't have proper room size for their dream speakers, not enough skill or tools etc. In that case, a pair of good, used audiophile speakers of your liking may be the way to go. It can still be fun, rewarding, being in the "hunt" for your ultimate speaker.

Joe

AllenB,

Not quite, rooms are all different sizes and shapes and contain different furniture. Different speakers have different positioning needs. A Planar Magnetic and dipoles speakers have different position needs then most box type speakers. The room shape and size is a major factor in getting the best performance out of a particular speaker.

Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.