DCX2496 PC software under windows 10/11?

I'm upgrading my music server and finding that the most "recent" DCX2496 remote app (v1.16a) (a 32-bit app circa 2005) no longer functions correctly (for me) after upgrading to Windows 10 (or 11). I'm a Mac guy so I run Windows for the few things I need it for in a virtual machine (VM) under a product called Parallels. In the past I ran the Behringer app under XP and then 7 VMs and it worked fine. I now need to upgrade to Windows 11 (ARM) to run on a Mac Studio M1 and the Behringer app doesn't play nice. For sanity, I also tried it in a Windows 10 (x86) virtual machine on an Intel Mac which also misbehaves.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is related to something else in my environment other than the just Windows version compatibility. Sooo... Does anyone have the remote app working reliably on either Windows 10 or 11?

The symptoms are that it starts up fine and lets me bring up the connect pane, select the unit and load it's configuration, dismiss the connect panel and play all I want -- until I try to bring back the connect panel to change units (I have four) and then it all goes off the rails. The new connect panel doesn't appear. The missing connect panel shows up as a thumbnail when I click on the app in the taskbar but it won't display on the screen. Even Task Manager can't kill it. I can launch another instance of the app but the zombie has the COM port locked. I've tried various suggested (and not) flavors of Windows compatibility modes but no dice. The app itself seems to "work" and the issue has to do with its interacting with the windowing system. I'm not enough of a Windows guy to proceed further under the hood.

I've searched quite a bit and no one else is mentioning this so either it's just me or no one is using the control software on a recent 'puter.

The wall around Behringer's tech support (aka the MusicTribe website) is all but impenetrable...so no help there.

Anybody tried the DuinoDCX project?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Louis

Last edited:
I use windows 11 arm in several laptops. I had to move to the insider edition for better compatibility. There is an emulation layer that converts between x86 or amd64 to native arm. Sometimes it works badly of it does not having to resource to the native, if available, arm64 app. The situation with parallels it's going to be similar, you have an arm CPU emulating amd64 code, not the best. It may not be doable,.

If you have lowered the compatibility as low as it can be done ( xp or 7), i don't have many idean. .Maybe contact parallels as it seems the problem to them

Afterthought Effective February 16, 2023, Microsoft has authorized the Parallels Desktop solution for using Arm versions of Windows 11 on Mac with Apple Silicom .

It is a fairly new implementation, it may have teething issues. Arm for windows amd64 emulator does

Yes thank you, Windows Pro 11 (arm) is the vm I'm using on the M1 mac. I reverified that the Behringer application doesn't work on Windows 10 x86 VM running on x86 iMac either. Just for fun I dug up my old XP VM and it still works there. Have tried XP compatibility modes in both 10 on x86 and 11 on arm - no joy.

Hoping someone can say whether the Behringer app works under 10 or 11 on native windows hardware....

Cheers, Louis

PS: interestingly turns out the author of DuinoDCX posted his work on this forum ages ago. Anybody tried it?

I have a similar case, a xp app that one of my customers needs to use. I have nurtured the unit re-casing it into a vista pc and cloning the hd into a ssd The next step about to happen is to create a xp virtual machine since the physical machine is about to die and due to windows requirements, it is hard to find pc that can run xp (ebay).

I had always a bad time with windows xp compatibility. It seems it only works for video scaling fonts. sindows 11 arm, no matter what ms says, is still a developing product with issues if you deviate from very modern and popular app, its a lottery if the app you need will work, or if such app has an arm version. I only use is a a remote tech support machine due to its low weight and long battery, not ready for generalist work.

Crazy idea, if going back to the amd64 mac is not an option, have you tried to run a xp virtual machine inside a windows 10/11 machine inside the arm mac. You may try virtual box to create a machine inside the machine. No idea if it is feasible or if it even work.

OK, giving up on the Behringer DCX Remote app. Never been impressed with it (understatement) and now 18 years since it's last release it's all but useless. Behringer has no shame in offering it as part of an active product!

Soooo.... I tried the DuinoDCX project and WOW am I impressed!! Followed the instructions and in less than an hour had it working perfectly. (Would have been much less than an hour had I known the software requires the DCX's device id be set to 1, which mine wasn't.)

I've been an audio product designer for most of my career (Shure, Lexicon, Audio Precision) and this effort, made freely available (MIT license) by a very small group (most of it by just one person) would seriously impress as part of a full-blown commercial product. Wish I'd tried this when it first came out. Lasse Lukkari I can't thank you enough!

I plan to build it as a wired dongle in order to put a bit of distance between the Wi-Fi RF and the analog audio signals and to allow for RF filtering at both ends of the cable. Probably overkill but hey, my µV phono wiring isn't far from a couple of these DCXs. In the DCX, the RI pin of the DB-9 connector is a NC (and would be an output from a DCE (female) device in the bygone era of telephone modems where it was used) so I'll probably use it to source 5V from the DCX (through a PTC) to power the dongle. The DSR output might make more sense but Behringer has it looped to the DTR (input) pin which would be an output from a DTE (male) device. Probably end up costing all of around $12/unit for my four DCXs.

I'll post more about it in a future post.

Cheers, Louis

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user