• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DC link capacitors in PS

I occasionally read praise for DC link capacitors in power supplies so I bought them to try. What interests me is which is the optimal position first, second or all? What are your experiences? Have you tried different brands and which one did you like best?
My amplifier is 7n7 driver and PSE 2 x 6e5p (I also have the option to put 2 x 4p1l, but I haven't used it for a long time).
Power supply is LCRCRC.

Bert regards
Slobodan

The DC Link capacitor has good mechanical structure (stacked, not wound) and it has low inductance.

The 1. Cap (rectifier cap) must handle high impulsive current and large voltage swing. This is exactly the position for a DC link, so you might begin with this one.

But the good mechanical quality is useful in any capacitor in an unregulated supply. It's best to try it in all positions and take a long listening time for each one, IME.

Reactions: 5 users
I use DC Links for the first and last cap. Usually CLCLC. So electrolytics in between, as high a value as you need. First cap is usually around 15uF, last cap the same or bigger.

I use Kemet C4AQ because they're available from RS. A 75uF is excellent for a cathode bypass and these are in stock. A lot of values aren't.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/film-capacitors/1744358?gb=s

Reactions: 1 user
I am using 2x Kemet C444U 500 uF 900 V DC links in the first position of choke input 800 V power supply. 1 mF is required for damped supply operation. The size is the same as equivalent electrolyte capacitor would be (or even less), but they are PP metallized capacitors. Their characteristics are simply amazing: equivalent DCR in milliohms, equivalent inductance in nanohenries, voltage rise time 7 V/usec, peak current over 3,000 A, ripple current 50 Arms, according to data sheet. They are rated for high frequency, ripple current rating is at 10 kHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am using 2x Kemet C444U 500 uF 900 V DC links in the first position of choke input 800 V power supply. 1 mF is required for damped supply operation. The size is the same as equivalent electrolyte capacitor would be (or even less), but they are PP metallized capacitors. Their characteristics are simply amazing: equivalent DCR in milliohms, equivalent inductance in nanohenries, voltage rise time 7 V/usec, peak current over 3,000 A, ripple current 50 Arms, according to data sheet. They are rated for high frequency, ripple current rating is at 10 kHz.
First time I hear about damped supply. Will read about it.. do you have a source with more info? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Choke input supply has ringing response (in LC tank of the first choke and first capacitor) to load transients. This ringing can be snubbed by adding resistance to the resonant tank. The resistance consists of transformer secondary DCR, choke DCR, rectifier forward resistance, and additional resistance in the rectifier circuit (added on purpose for damping purpose). Jim Hagerman has a calculator for minimum value of the first capacitor for given DC resistance.https://www.hagtech.com/choke.html

Reactions: 2 users
I used the DC link capacitors in my 845 power amp.

1710041331783.png

Choke input supply has ringing response (in LC tank of the first choke and first capacitor) to load transients. This ringing can be snubbed by adding resistance to the resonant tank. The resistance consists of transformer secondary DCR, choke DCR, rectifier forward resistance, and additional resistance in the rectifier circuit (added on purpose for damping purpose). Jim Hagerman has a calculator for minimum value of the first capacitor for given DC resistance.https://www.hagtech.com/choke.html
As an alternative, would adding a small cap (e.g. less than 1uf) be a good middle ground between choke input and traditional cap input? I.e. clclc with a small c in the first cap position?