• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DC/DC stepup for valve projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Did anyone come across a DC/DC booster for tube projects? Something that will accept a 12VDC input with at least a 150VDC output (around 5mA).
Step down modules are readily available on ebay for generating 6.3V.

I would like to work with an off the shelf universal AC mains to 12VDC adapter for my guitar effects projects.

Thanks,
S.B.D

I have used this quite successfully for a few small valve pre amp type thingys:

NIXIE TUBE POWER SUPPLY MODULE FOR CLOCK 2 OUTPUTS | eBay

If you stick "nixie supply" into epay you will get a fair few different designs. The one I linked is nice because it uses a Maxim chip and has pretty good regulation. I don't think you could buy the parts and build one for less.

Cheers Matt.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is a rather expensive option that can be adjusted over an output range of 95 - 210V and 50mA - 24mA max. (Note it is a 5W supply so as voltage goes up available current is decreased) It runs about $43 in single pieces.

R12-150B Recom Power | 945-2053-5-ND | DigiKey

It would help if the OP would add location information to his userid, that way members can steer him in an appropriate direction for his locale.

Thanks for all the replays. I really like Matt B.H's link and will do an e-bay search for Nixie tube power supply. kevinr's module is also cool, I will order one on my next Digikey order.
although the switching frequencies are well out of the audio band, will more filtering be needed to avoid inter-modulations?

Thanks,
S.B.D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.