dB Technologies SUB 15H Semi Horn Loaded ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im curious about this speaker:
dB Technologies SUB 15H Semi Horn Loaded.

From db web site:
"This hybrid horn-loaded subwoofer ensures exceptional efficiency, even at closer listening distances, making it ideal for a wide range of venue sizes"

Im very interested about this kind of load and i have some RCF 15" driver.
Some ideas about to how to make a kind of clone and interior design?
Should i try or prefer a simple reflex in order to make a sub for small pubs and stages ?
Thank

From the photos I've seen online, it's basically a bass reflex design.
The so-called "horn loading" is a baffle that's been angled by about 10 degrees. It might provide a couple of dB of boost at 500Hz, but nothing useful in the <100Hz region.

It's best to design for a particular driver, rather than hoping it will work in a particular design.

Chris

GM

Joined 2003
It appears to be crude 6th order band-pass [BP] alignment, i.e. a BR with the vent coming forward to a flared terminus [mouth] that somewhat loads the driver or I guess could be described as a truncated/mini TH.

Over a narrow range it should outperform a BR for a given bulk [specs implies ~1.5 octaves, so if you need more, then either go TH for 2+ octaves or [multiple] BRs.

GM

I would call it a (tapped horn/ bass reflex) hybrid. The small horn flare at the end typically has it's effect around the crossover frequency region (80 Hz and up). The tapped part has it's effect in the middle of the frequency response, typically between 50 - 75 Hz. Because of the angle of the baffle in this particular case, I don't expect a whole lot of effect from the tapped part.

Still, it usually performs very similar to a 6th order band pass, including dips outside it's operating band width.

Johan

DB SUB18H

sub18h-smaart_710293.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.