Dayton PS220-8: the speaker many of you have been waiting for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll post later on my RMAF experiences in general, but I thought this development deserved it's own thread:

Dayton PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver | Parts-Express.com

PE introduced a house brand 8" paper cone fullrange. It has what many of you have been craving: a neo motor with an underhung VC, shorting ring, and tons of xmax in combination with plenty of efficiency. For $200/pr. Check out the Klippel results under the specifications. Wow. Obviously it is suited for BLHs, and the shorting ring will give you that 206-like HF rise I am often ranting about but many of you want. I held one, and they seem very well made. This should be big news in the fullrange world.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

A fantastic question. PE just had a table in the lobby full of speakers, but none in boxes playing (unlike Madisound, who had a room with complete speakers!). I'll be sticking with my Wild Burro speakers, as you'd expect. But, based on the response chart, the 1" voice coil and the not dissimilar cone composition (I think the gent said 40% kevlar?) I suspect they'll sound not entirely unlike my own prototypes with a shorting ring. That is, until you start to push them past a mm or two of excursion. I tend not to do that, but I know there are folks who will enjoy that possibility. (Freddi, you out there?)

At this point in my positive comments, I should point out I don't have any connection to these speakers. On the contrary, actually, as I sell my own! But I do believe "a rising tide lifts all boats" and I love seeing the fullrange world expand.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

With those specs i think they are expecting folks to build back horns. It sims on OB like other 8" drivers down to about 200hz. When funds permit, i may sit a pair on top of my H-frames.

Attachments

• Dayton8inchOB.jpg
    Dayton8inchOB.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,896

GM

Joined 2003
Is this good speaker for class a low power SS amps and tubes?

Its base efficiency calculates what they publish, so at its rated 40 W it can hit DD/DTS/THX reference (~live piano bar peaks) in an average room/channel, so it boils down to how loud on average you listen at the seating position and how much amp clipping distortion you find acceptable as to how little power you can get by on.

For me, I'd need all 40 W to probably keep the amp from clipping, but many folks would be quite happy with a high output impedance SET amp of > 8 W in a typical size room.

SS amps OTOH typically require significant EQ for low Qts drivers, so figure at least ~20 W.

GM

I also saw these drivers at RMAF and I'm curious to try them in a small (L) OB like the one in my photo sitting on my subwoofer cabinet that has an Alpair 7 in it. I realize they may be more suited to a cabinet but I figure I may give it a shot:eek:. R. Bond tells me a QTS of .27 will give to much top end with little to no lower mids in sight.

Attachments

• LOB.jpg
    LOB.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 1,857
Last edited:
Hello,
did any one acctualy tried the Dayton PS220-8 8" driver?
FS of 37Hz is acctualy impresive, on the other hand the curve is quite unstable and the driver fluctuates with a rate of 35db beween 75db at 37HZ to 110db at 4kHz.
Never the less I would like to know how he really performes

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hello,
did any one acctualy tried the Dayton PS220-8 8" driver?
FS of 37Hz is acctualy impresive, on the other hand the curve is quite unstable and the driver fluctuates with a rate of 35db beween 75db at 37HZ to 110db at 4kHz.
Never the less I would like to know how he really performes

Speaker guru Curt Campbell is working on a design for these(!) and has posted his thoughts on performance and measurements so far. Shorter: big thumbs up.:D

How do they sound? Pretty darn good. With only a simple shelving network applied I get a nice pleasing sound with few, if any, audible artifacts. The high frequency extension is quite good on axis, but as would be expected, falls off significantly off axis. Definitely these want to be toed in toward the listener, but the sound in the sweet spot is quite acceptable, verging on excellent. Pairing these with a gainclone or low power tube amp would be the obvious match, as only a couple of watts will push these to quite high SPL’s.
-High fidelity on a shoestring budget…

More here:

TechTalk Forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.