Dayton 18-22 vs sundown ZV4 18d2 vs ...?

Which option to choose?

• UM 18-22 ported

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • UM 18-22 sealed

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • dual UM 15-22 ported, seperated

• Dual UM 15-22 ported, in 1 box

• dual UM 15-22 sealed, seperated

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • dual UM 15-22 sealed, in 1 box

• ZV4 18 ported

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZV4 18 sealed

• other

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Bit of an old topic, but life got in between and ruined so far my building plans. In a good way though as I became a father and bought a house to renovate. 2nd child on the way, so time is getting even more difficult.

The 4 lab12c are still in my attic, I also bought 2 dayton 18" passive radiators rss 460 to limit the size.

HOWEVER now in best case I will be able to build in 3 months, when I'm home on parental leave after the birth...best case

Meanwhile I notice how dirt cheap subs became. You can get decent dual svs subs 2nd hand below 1000 euro.

Is it worth my efforts to still build or will I get a better result with 2 svs pb 1000 pro subs?

I like the building process, should I find the time, but would hate to be dissapointed

Ignore this post...while looking for used subwoofers a bargain dayton um 18-22 showed up and I bought it...

It so happens that the enclosures I have are about 4 cubic feet, perfect size for a sealed um 18-22...

So now I wonder if I would sell 2 lab12c's and build 1 enclosure as planned and 1 with the um 18-22...
Not sure if I could use my 18" PR with the um 18-22, from what I read they don't model well in a ported box (and I probalbly need 2 PR for 1 um 18-22)

It's clear to me I will not buy a used sub...too exciting to build one...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Is there another alternative?
Roof mounting and firing from the ceiling perhaps?
I wanted to put the subwoofers in the roof space but the better side of the marriage vetoed that idea. We did have seven small 10" powered subs distributed around the room and that worked very very well but did not meet WAF during the renovations

Not really an option, in Belgium we build with concrete, so everything is brick and concrete. The only option would be in our basement, but then again I would need to make a hole in the concrete slab to get the sound in the living room. (i actually considere this option, my wife was not amused)

Meanwhile, I bought some subwoofers which match my mains, they are very nice Piega aluminium subwoofers, with a peerless xls 10 driver and PR. They dig 'deep' but they are too weak for my room. Bought them because I had so much work in the renovation of the house, building a detached brick home gym and taking care of babies and toddlers, I knew it was going to take some time and decided to buy something. They look GREAT but the sound is WEAK. (not if you want to buy them from me, in that case, they are very refined and "musical")

I also finally started building, and decided on 1 dayton um 18-22 in a downfiring position in 140L next to my seating, which will also serve as a 'table' and 2 boxes with in each box 2 LAB12C and a Dayton 460 18" PR in 150L, which will be positioned somewhere on the TV wall, where they measure best. So 3 subwoofers, in the only 3 locations which are possible. I built one 'test' box, sound is good, so now I can start building finally.

Would love to have 1 week of solid time to dedicate to working on this, having kids is nice but it takes away time from hobbies...