Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Scott, if everything is ripped with Daphile and are visible in the file manager then it is possible that it is not Daphile that fails to see the errant files but the browser you are using to access Daphile.

Things to try....clear your browsers cache,disable any add-ons or blockers (some like U-Block origin have a default that prevents above certain sized images being shown), try another browser, try another browser from another O/S eg download and use an Ubuntu live usb image.

Folks:

This question has been asked before, but it's been awhile (I believe) and perhaps someone has come up with a solution.

Daphile doesn't "see" all of the music on my NAS. There are some songs that, for reasons unknown to me, don't show up in Daphile's Audio Player. Oddly, the missing songs are visible when viewed from Daphile's File Manager. Deleting a missing song, rescanning the music library (including selecting "clear library and rescan everything") and then re-ripping that song does not change that song's status with Daphile's Audio Player - the song cannot be found to be played.

This isn't an isolated problem; I have a fair amount of music properly ripped to my NAS that I cannot play because Daphile's Audio Player doesn't see it.

Is there a simple way to force Daphile to truly rescan my music library? Does anyone have any other brilliant ideas?

Thank you,
Scott
Most likely something goes wrong during the scan process. Check the server and scanner logfiles. Usually you can see which scans fail. It might be something that's not being recognized as a valid tag or characters in the filenames. A complete rescan can be done by selecting "clear library and rescan everything".

Joined 2004
Paid Member
MSHAVS:

I don't mean to be rude but, as mentioned in Post 4557 (the post you quoted), deleting songs not seen by Daphile's Audio Player but visible in Daphile's File Manager, then re-ripping the same song (as a Flac file) using Daphile invariably results in a song that remains visible to File Manager but not Audio Player, even when "clear library and rescan everything" is selected.

Perhaps I missed your point?

Regards,
Scott

MSHAVS:

I don't mean to be rude but, as mentioned in Post 4557 (the post you quoted), deleting songs not seen by Daphile's Audio Player but visible in Daphile's File Manager, then re-ripping the same song (as a Flac file) using Daphile invariably results in a song that remains visible to File Manager but not Audio Player, even when "clear library and rescan everything" is selected.

Perhaps I missed your point?

Regards,
Scott
Yes, you did :)

what I meant is performing the scan and see what the scanner/server logs show about the scan. If the tags are not correct or filenames (e.g. with weird characters in the name) are not recognized for some reason than they will not appear in your music overview.
What you could do is to add just the location of one of the directories with missing songs and try to scan that and see what the log will say about the scan-process (will save a lot of time to find the right information). You should at least see that the file (or files) are found, but are skipped due to errors.
Also, did you try to check the tags of the missing files? You can do so on a windows (using mp3tag) or linux system (using easytag)
Can you mention some of the albums/songs that are missing? (send a PM if you want)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
MSHAVS:

Honestly, rudeness wasn't my intention; I was looking for a polite way of pointing out your first note proposed something already answered in my post. But I appreciate your response!

I'll take a look at the log files when I get a chance. One example is Blazing Apostles, the last song on the third CD in a new 3-disk "deluxe" two concert edition of Be Bop Deluxe's Live! In the Air Age (I decided against the 10 CD edition, though that may have been a mistake). The first two disks in the set ripped without issue. The third disk has 6 songs; the first 5 ripped just fine, but the last song had problems. I recently switched to a NAS for music storage and I've been experiencing more faulty rips since. That said, this issue has been a problem for years predating the NAS.

I'll report back in the next day or two.

Regards (and thanks),
Scott

I've been trying to use TuneIn (have added through MySqueezeBox) and its VERY slow.

Trying to search for stations is either very very slow, just sits there (over 5+ minutes) and requires me to restart Daphile.

I'm running 21.12-b051729-x86_64

How is everyone else using TuneIn? Am I using it incorrectly?

@SRMcGee

Whoa there Scott !! that's a very different problem to what you first posted....???

You initially said that Daphile could not read files that had been ripped by Daphile and stored on the NAS but that the Daphile file manager could see them.

However, your last post says that the problem tracks came about during ripping and some didn't rip correctly (and probably were not tagged correctly in that case or just corrupted).

I'm confused as to what we are actually trying to solve...?

If you are experiencing ripping errors...especially near disc end then have you used the Daphile calibration option to calibrate your ripping drive ? and are you ripping to your local Daphile then transferring to your NAS ? Do you then remove any local copies from the local Daphile drive?

I have finally got the backup to run, but it doesnt seem to be backing anything up?

sent 59bytes receiver 86bytes 290bytes/sec
total size is 0bytes speedup is 0.00
free space on target 7.7Gbytes

I've selected a full backup to go to a USB stick on sdb1 from the main drive

Surely it should need to backup more than this? Anyone seen this before?

@joonla are you running Daphile from a full install ? (what hardware ?) or from the live usb image ?

How is everyone else using TuneIn? Am I using it incorrectly?
select search TuneIn...type a search term into the box and bingo...within a second or two...results. (Just tried the search term 'rock' and 2 seconds later returned 5 pages of stations to explore.)

Last edited:
@SRMcGee
attached Daphile ripper settings that work for me.
I've ripped several hundred cds and, excepting physical damage, never had a problem with ripping saving or access.

Attachments

• daphileCD.jpg
    daphileCD.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 380
Running the same version as you with no problems. HP t610 thinclient 4GB ram and 16GB flash drive.

You could look at the logs in the Info Tab and see if there is anything there that may indicate what is happening ?
Daphile is very light on resources so you have more than enough processing.

@joonla are you running Daphile from a full install ? (what hardware ?) or from the live usb image ?

select search TuneIn...type a search term into the box and bingo...within a second or two...results. (Just tried the search term 'rock' and 2 seconds later returned 5 pages of stations to explore.)

Fixed this - Daphile doesnt like me using my pihole DNS server. Its fast as now I've pointed it to 1.1.1.1

Its actually sped up the entire system by making that change...

Running the same version as you with no problems. HP t610 thinclient 4GB ram and 16GB flash drive.

You could look at the logs in the Info Tab and see if there is anything there that may indicate what is happening ?
Daphile is very light on resources so you have more than enough processing.

Wait wait wait....what does the backup function actually backup?

I want to backup all the settings I've changed - does the backup only backup whats on the data drive??

Other findings....

I have a music mix (with a dice symbol) keep popping up in my queue - how do I stop that??

When I press play on a track, it clears the entire queue.....can I change that to just add to queue or not clear queue or ask first???

I've built a new Daphile system, using a 500G HDD. (I figure having a backup of the backup of my NAS music files cant hurt). When I try to use the file manager to copy from a USB connected drive to Daphile's "Music" folder, it says I cannot - no matter what I try. What's the trick?

Daphile.png

All the files I'd like to copy arent locked. I've set the Music directory and the same on the USB drive to "Other" (assuming general use by the system); I've turned off "sharing" - and still. I've yet to use a file manager so picayune about what you're able to do. One would think by default you can copy stuff back and forth, in and out of that Music directory as you would expect, given your experience (it just works...) with any other computer system.

Thanks for any help with this!

I've built a new Daphile system, using a 500G HDD. (I figure having a backup of the backup of my NAS music files cant hurt). When I try to use the file manager to copy from a USB connected drive to Daphile's "Music" folder, it says I cannot - no matter what I try. What's the trick?

View attachment 1005807

All the files I'd like to copy arent locked. I've set the Music directory and the same on the USB drive to "Other" (assuming general use by the system); I've turned off "sharing" - and still. I've yet to use a file manager so picayune about what you're able to do. One would think by default you can copy stuff back and forth, in and out of that Music directory as you would expect, given your experience (it just works...) with any other computer system.

Thanks for any help with this!
I can get the copy to work when I have the "share" attribute checked on the USB connected drive. Next up, most of the artist directories have a .thumbs subdirectory, which causes Daphile to yak up an error and not copy the whole thing. Any artist sub without a .thumbs, copies successfully. Funny, the presence of the .thumbs sub doesnt seems to bother Daphile on the connected NAS; they are seen and play just fine from there...

Looks like it's going to be a lot of work deleting all those .thumbs subs, the copying each artist sub, one at a time X 1000...

Thanks, Bob. There's more after A and B ;')

So I had to pull the drive and hang it from a USB dongle off a MXLinux system. Using GParted, I could see the partitions labeled DaphileBoot and DaphileData. Of course, DaphileBoot was the one that mounted automatically, as if to underscore its usefulness regarding what I wanted to do. I Googled and found the Linux hieroglyphics to mount the second partition (sudo mount -t auto -o rw /dev/sdc2 /mnt -v) and lucky I was able to remember my User password, versus the Root password I needed to run GParted...

Once mounted, I was able to copy the USB drive copy of my NAS audio directories to it directly, in a normal way (cntl A, drag over across the windows...) That took a couple hours. Waking around 2:30 AM, I dismounted everything using GParted, shut down and put the drive back into the fanless Atom PC. It booted and started scanning all the media, which I'm able to play now in the same way as when I had it mapped using cifs to the NAS; .thumbs directories and all -

Why did I do all this? Backup of the backup and someone here said you get better SQ with a local copy, than transporting the audio data over the network. Makes no sense to me, but as long as I had the drive just sitting in a drawer, might as well give it a try. Just wish it wasnt such a kick the ball, drag Fred of a process. I think I'll give that "Spin Down HDD" checkbox a try and see how much trouble that causes.

Two ext4 partitions; one mounts, the other doesnt - I'll never understand. The one that mounted had a "boot" flag set; I could see no flag that would tell the OS to mount the DaphileData one. So too bad; when I plugged the drive into the NAS, it also only recognized the DaphileBoot partition as well. If it recognized both, I could have easily copied the content directly from the NAS via its own UI system.