Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

New Daphile Computer

I have just installed the Youtube plugin and find it will only play youtube clips created using the ogg codec. Otherwsie it just skips the entry. Presumably I need to load additional codecs? Is there a LMS plugin to support this.

Attachments

• Youtube.jpg
    Youtube.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Hi all

So I got a small form factor pc 2.5ghz 4 threads but 1300mhz DDR3 and solid state drive. Installed and running with an ether net cable and playing music. Nice. I went back through the posts and page 341, I think, and got a Comcast WiFi dongle as suggested today. Having trouble getting that going. Possibly because ethernet cable connected?
Also Daphile is running in read only so not saving changes. Been up for work at 4:30 so maybe too tired to think clearly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Hi all

snip
Also Daphile is running in read only so not saving changes. snip

So it is not installed ? On a flash drive still testing ?

Comfast are mostly universal devices in Linux but Daphile does have a limited recognition of wifi hardware
Page 341 doesn't seem to have any discussion about comfast...but I recall a discussion somewhere...may even have been me recommending it ...lol
What comfast device have you got ?
I will test Daphile with my adapter tomorrow and report.

If you boot with a screen attached and select the options for wifi what happens ?

Ha ! it was me !

Just to check...you're starting Daphile with it connected via ethernet cable and then going to settings>network and filling in the wifi router details and password and saving...then shutting down, removing the cable, plugging in the wifi adapter and booting ?

Last edited:
Hi Drone7

I believe I installed to the SSD. At the end it says to remove the USB drive and then Daphile starts and I access it through a Web page on my laptop. I entered the WI-FI settings from the remote laptop after the Daphile PC screen turned off using the details I got from Fing. I ripped one cd as a trial.
Somehow I missed the bit where I reboot with the ether net cable unplugged. I will do that tonight! Rookie mistake!!! I will report back.

Thanks and apologies for these questions. I'm not a computer guy, just a music listening guy! Really appreciate everyone's advice

Well I'm impressed!!

Managed to get going over WiFi, get Tidal going rip a couple of CD's and have a listen.

I know there has been conjecture before about true A/B testing, but I know when my wife is sitting on the couch with little knowledge of what I've been doing and makes a comment on the stereo in a positive light without mentioning the almighty dollar or how ugly something looks my own ears aren't lying. In her words "that sounds open and crisp! “

I recently came across a track (forget the lyrics if offends in any way but listen to the voice instead) by Jace Everett called Bad Things from the album Old New Borrowed Blues. No idea how this was recorded but through Daphile you would swear he is in the room, more so than on the CD. The guitar string buzzing in Stone Sour's version of Wicked Game is brilliant. I could go on. I'm a fan. Even if you forget the fact it plays streams from Tidal etc... , rips CD's and links to out board storage etc... etc.... as a basic music server it would be cool, but all the other pieces are amazing. Long weekend geeking out on this planned.

Huge thanks to Kipeta for this product and those who contributed in the forum with questions, answers and suggestions.

I know there has been conjecture before about true A/B testing, but I know when my wife is sitting on the couch with little knowledge of what I've been doing and makes a comment on the stereo in a positive light without mentioning the almighty dollar or how ugly something looks my own ears aren't lying. In her words "that sounds open and crisp! “

Are you aware of the Clever Hans effect?

Yep. Mentioned before in the thread. Googled it after reading that post and don't care. She doesn't listen to music the same as I do, it's a background thing for her. I never solicited an opinion either. But maybe she picked up on some "involuntary cue" from me. WAF and the fact
I
like it is good enough for me. Not talking myself into thinking something is good because I spent stupid money on it or someone else saying it's good which I've done in the past. Daphile cost me about $50 in 2nd hand gear from work and some time to get going and does sound better than my CD player or Tidal streamed through the same DAC. The only opinion that matters is mine. Unless it's stupid money, then my wife's opinion matters because I will be spending longer in the dog box lol

Last edited:
Not too keen on that idea Julf. I would guess listening levels normally would be 80 to 90 dB when she's home. Any louder and I wouldn't have enough power to hear it from the dog box lol

:)

The point is that a small volume difference (2 dB or so) is not perceived as "louder" but "better, even "open" and "crisp". That is why level matching (with a meter) is essential for any listening comparison.

Technically that could well be correct. I do personally believe there is an audible difference. Maybe the DAC has a slightly higher output voltage than my CD player, supposed to be 2V each. Haven't measured. But for the cost and time involved in getting all my music in one place without sounding worse it has been an extremely worthwhile exercise.

Glad we agreed on the last piece at least.
Do you believe that any pc based player could make a difference to sound? Roon, Foobar etc...? Is it possible the same DAC can sound different on different computers? Maybe my gear is poor enough that small things can make an audible difference. Not sure. But whether the Daphile effect is real or imagined by me I am a fan

Do you believe that any pc based player could make a difference to sound? Roon, Foobar etc...? Is it possible the same DAC can sound different on different computers?

Yes, some player programs are not bit perfect / transparent, but apply processing to the sound. Some player software also uses the built-in audio system of the OS that can also apply processing that affects the sound.

Definitely every computer creates a different noise on ground loop, if not properly taken care of by the DAC/the chain behind. Also if a DAC is powered by the computer, the power quality can be different.

I think the key phrase is "if not properly taken care of". Yes, there are poorly designed DACs (especially "audiophile" ones), but it is not rocket science, just basic electronic design knowledge...

Running Daphile & also backing up machines on network to server?

I am repurposing an old tranquil T7 server which had WHS on it to run it. I have upgraded the hard disk to a 500GB SSD. I was looking at a Centos install with LMS before I learned about Daphile.

My requirements for the server are:
- run LMS for 2 squeezebox devices and current 150GB music library
- automate daily backups for 2 household laptops

Does anyone have a Daphile install and also setup an unrelated backup system in parallel?

Any advice appreciated.

Do you really want to use such power-hungry machine for such low-demand task? A thin 20W x86 client would make it easily.

Daphile is a gentoo based with read-only root partition (squashfs). I do not think it allows installing other packages, especially not in an easy way. Plus every upgrade would wipe your modifications.

Or the new RPi v. 4 with some RPi-based music distro.

I think the key phrase is "if not properly taken care of". Yes, there are poorly designed DACs (especially "audiophile" ones), but it is not rocket science, just basic electronic design knowledge...

Well, avoiding the ground loop is not so simple, only few DACs have USB isolation, only few setups use balanced line to amp.

My opinion is most of the differences reported for "audiophile" OS setup (playing with processes, etc.) arise from different level/characteristics of the ground-loop noise (if they really exist, which is possible). Of course the solution is solving the ground-loop problem, not trying random noise tweaks.

Do you really want to use such power-hungry machine for such low-demand task? A thin 20W x86 client would make it easily.

This is news to me re electricty cost? I had a 10 year old machine lying on the shelf that seemed a good, quiet, solution, that I have no use for other wise.

Daphile is a gentoo based with read-only root partition (squashfs). I do not think it allows installing other packages, especially not in an easy way. Plus every upgrade would wipe your modifications.

Ok, looks like I need to look elsewhere if I want to do backsups too. Thanks.