Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Gustard's USB not support DSD512, it is Xmos U8 chipset, not U208

Yes, I appreciate that, but I would not be using the Gustard XMOS interface but rather the I2S via an HDMI cable from the Singxer SU-1. The SIngxer would take the USB output from my PC and forward the DSD signal over an HDMI cable top the i2S port on the Gustard.

The above setup works fine with HQPlayer.

I normally now use a Raspberry PI with Moode 3.8.4 as a music server, with a uSB drive with my music on it. I'm very happy with the PI, using it to replace Audirvana on my MacBook. For a while recently though the Pi stopped working....
I hooked out an old HP Laptop with Windows 7 on it. Searching the web I came across a couple of options, but didn't like them or the sound produced. Then I came across Daphile. Setup was dead easy, I chose to run it on an SD card. Explored the many settings and changed a couple. I used it for a while until I got the PI working. The laptop is now back in the cupboard, but its there if the PI dies as. I found the same quality of sound from the PI with Moode and Daphile with HP laptop. Not exhaustive testing just a view gained from general use. Great product!

good morning everybody,

I got stuck trying to resolve suspension / shutdown issues with Daphile on a Dell WYSE X90D7 thin client. The pc suspends regularly but after it doesn't resume and hangs during the stopping procedure and I have to force shutdown in both cases. With suspend, even after forcing shutdown with power button, I have to unplug the power to boot again, very strange behaviour!

I have updated the bios to the latest version but no success. Also with the last beta version of daphile no luck. I tried with all the three power options in daphile TCP, HPET, ACPI, but no luck. In the bios the only available option is CPU ACPI-P state (on/off). Could it be an ACPI-related issue?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

good morning everybody,

I got stuck trying to resolve suspension / shutdown issues with Daphile on a Dell WYSE X90D7 thin client. The pc suspends regularly but after it doesn't resume and hangs during the stopping procedure and I have to force shutdown in both cases. With suspend, even after forcing shutdown with power button, I have to unplug the power to boot again, very strange behaviour!

I have updated the bios to the latest version but no success. Also with the last beta version of daphile no luck. I tried with all the three power options in daphile TCP, HPET, ACPI, but no luck. In the bios the only available option is CPU ACPI-P state (on/off). Could it be an ACPI-related issue?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Have you set a static IP. Could be trying to restart with a different Ip address.

Another interesting development is the recent availability of 'cheap as peanuts' sabre dacs with XMOS XU208 chip capable of DSD512. For example see the SMSL IDEA and Sabaj DA3. The latter has 2 sabre 9018q2c chips for less than US$100. And the initial quality, sound and technical, does not seem at all bad. See More Amazing DACs for Peanuts (audiocircle "cheap as peanuts") for a discussion on the products and Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: SMSL iDEA USB DAC / Headphone Amp (ESS Sabre ES9018Q2C + XMOS XU208) for a technical analysis and comparison. But one of the the conclusions is ..

5. The one main concern I have - issues with Linux-based devices including Android. I suspect there's something not quite right with the "plug-and-play" UAC2 drivers interacting with this device. What happens is that when I first plug the device into a Linux/Android machine (like the Pi "Touch", Note 5, Squeezebox Touch), the power goes on and the device goes into some kind of inappropriate starting state. When I try to play something, the output is an annoying buzzing noise with the audio being played at a very low volume. What I have to do is start the app (eg. USB Audio Player Pro on the Note 5) or configure the music program (eg. for the Pi "Touch" with piCorePlayer, tell Squeezelite to use "USB audio" and Output setting to "front:CARD=v12,DEV=0" in my case then save and reset), then unplug and reconnect the DAC. It works fine afterwards.

Can someone confirm if they have tried one of these DACs and whether or not the above issue is also apparent with Daphile.

All the same, I have ordered one and will get back on my findings.

What happens is that when I first plug the device into a Linux/Android machine (like the Pi "Touch", Note 5, Squeezebox Touch).

The Raspberry Pi and the Squeezebox Touch are two entirely different devices. Yes, both are based on an ARM processor, and both run Linux, but the Squeezebox Touch has a much older processor and runs an old version of Linux that hasn't been officially supported or gotten updates in a very long time.

Hi,

I have none of the mentioned DAC but a different one using the U208. When I power up Daphile the DAC shows 44.1 kHz sampling rate at first, then it shows DSD modus, that is when the hissing sound starts coming out of the speakers. I run Daphile with DRC upsampling everything to 96 kHz. After a while the hissing sound stops and my DAC shows 96 kHz sampling frequency. I guess that happens when Daphile has completely finished the booting process.

Regards

Granite

Have you set a static IP. Could be trying to restart with a different Ip address.

Thanks you, but it's a kernel issue I suppose. With 14.10 version shutdown is working, but not suspend. Looking forward for a solution from the developer ;)

@makoz,
I'm not sure Daphile likes to suspend or hibernate, if this is what you mean.

With the low power consumption of a thin client, why not just leave it on?

Probably it could be an option in the meanwhile, but I would like to suspend/shutdown it, I prefer to save energy as much as I can :)

Older x86 thin clients do not have a negligible consumption, they get warm/hot even when idle. In my projects I always use suspend to RAM mapped to the power button. Sometimes it requires removing modules before suspend/modprobing after resume (e.g. soundcard drivers for reliability of operation). I also shutdown/startup my python control software, to make sure all works correctly after resume. In linux it is simple, just a few scripts in relevant directories.

Older x86 thin clients do not have a negligible consumption, they get warm/hot even when idle. In my projects I always use suspend to RAM mapped to the power button. Sometimes it requires removing modules before suspend/modprobing after resume (e.g. soundcard drivers for reliability of operation). I also shutdown/startup my python control software, to make sure all works correctly after resume. In linux it is simple, just a few scripts in relevant directories.

indeed dell z90d07 power consumption is about 5 w at idle. yes, my intention is to suspend it mainly through power button. Unfortunately I'm not good enough in linux/daphile to discover the module that could possibly cause the resume / shutdown issue.. any suggestion?

First, your description mixes suspend and resume. These are two different actions. Which one is the actual problem?

Second, AFAIK daphile is not designed for any permanent changes, all will be lost upon reboot. You would have to modify the underlying read-only filesystem.

On my appliances I am using voyage linux which mounts the root filesystem read-only, links changeable directories to TMPFS (in RAM) and synces the changes back to the drive upon shutdown/suspend. Also the root filesystem can be remounted to writable which allows simple updates/modifications.

I am afraid I cannot help you with Daphile.

First, your description mixes suspend and resume. These are two different actions. Which one is the actual problem?

Second, AFAIK daphile is not designed for any permanent changes, all will be lost upon reboot. You would have to modify the underlying read-only filesystem.

On my appliances I am using voyage linux which mounts the root filesystem read-only, links changeable directories to TMPFS (in RAM) and synces the changes back to the drive upon shutdown/suspend. Also the root filesystem can be remounted to writable which allows simple updates/modifications.

I am afraid I cannot help you with Daphile.

Even if I install daphile on a ssd? I tried to change something in the /boot dir remounting with rw option...