Dampening in a car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so I have replaced all the speakers in my car amp etc. It is nothing real loud but sounds good to me, all except it seems at certain frequencies fairly loud the 6.5 drivers in the door seem to rattle the inside of the door. This is obviously annoying and I was wondering if some of that dampening mat stuff would help. I think I saw parts express sells some fairly cheap. I have a crossover which I normally leave at 80 hz but if it starts rattling I bump it up to 120 hz and it seems to go away but doesn't sound as good to me. Also if anyone has any advice on setting EQs in cars I would appreciate it.

Those pads should work fine. If not, check to make sure that the plastic grill and other screws are fastened securely. You could also try using rubber washers between the screws that hold them in place. Make sure the wire leading to them is secured as well.

Hey thanks, thats an excellent idea about the rubber washers I may have to do that. I am sick of pulling my door panels on and off so I want to do it one last time and be done with it. Also kind of related I need to make a sort of plate to hole my tweeters in place hard to decribe, but I was wondering what material I should use, plywood was my first thought. It is in the same door as a 6.5 drive if that affects anything. The way it is in there right now it is sort of vented not that a car door would be sealed otherwise. Thanks,
David

I dont see why you couldn't use plywood, especially since you probably have a limited space to work with in that door panel. Do your tweeters have to go there though? A friend of mine installed his component tweeters at ear height in the molding that follows his windows. This might be a better position, and it was a nice clean look. If you can't, then try to have the tweeters as close to ear height as possible, or try and angle them upwards. I would suggest glueing the plate you make to the inside of the door panel, or use washers again to make sure it doesnt rattle.

The speaker don't neccessarily have to go there. I just sort of placed them there for ease of install at the time. I do have the hardware necessary to flush mount them to the windshield or something if I want to. They do swivel so I have them pointed towards me right now. This is all in a Chevy Tahoe if that helps you with any ideas. I did think about mounting them high on the windshield near the roof but I was concerned about the driver side tweeter being so close in comparision to the passenger side. Obviously this is in a car so I am not going to get anything to ideal but I am definately open to suggestions. Also I have a sealed 10" sub any suggestions on sub placement? I can pretty much place it anywhere in the back facing any direction. Thanks for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.