Dallas II with Fostex FE206EN and Monocor HT 958 PA/SI

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lovely,

927477d1614600748-dallas-ii-fostex-fe206en-monocor-ht-958-pa-si-img-20210301-wa0009-jpg

I really like how they look like a standpoint from th eright angle, add the grill it turns into a boring (but pretty) monkey coffin.

I like teh traetment of the rear, with the additional external braces to sqaure the box up.

One question: You couldn’t get the tweeter closer to the FR?

dave

Thx dave!
And big thx for help!
And yes,i could put tweeters closer to the FR...thats the biggest mistake i make...
I realize this when i put them to test them.
When i seat on couch,then i see how FR is directly in ear level,and tweeter in level with top of my head...then i hit that point of the head...hard :spin:

Its not so bad,because tweeter radiation angle is 45/45 so is more or less no diference when you sit 4m from speakers.
But you have good eye,it would be better if i put them lower,closer to FR.
At least 6,7 cm closer to FR is still enough space to put them...probably even closer...

Thx donmar77!
Impedance question:
Are this speakers now 8 Ohm,or 4 Ohm?
Both drivers are 8 Ohm,and they are conected parallel.With capacitator on + terminal of tweeter.
Parallel conection formula,for 2 rezistor of the same valuve is R+R=R/2.
By that formula,speaker is 4 Ohm.
But,one guy told me that this is not good formula for speakers,because tweeter takes only small part of energy,so he said that this speaker is 8 Ohm.
Is that good information,and the box in the end is stil 8 Ohm?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Your speakers will still have the same nominal 8Ω impedance. If you measure the actual impedance it will look little like 8Ω.

High Rout amplifiers are typical respresented by SE tube amps, but there are a growing number of SS amps. The Fostex FExx6/8 drivers are specifically designed to be used with high Rout amplifiers. Driven by typical low Rout amplifier as you first connected will sound thin (over damped) and potentially hard up top (exacerbation of Fostex shout)

dave

I wait enough for bass to increse to the level with which im satisfied,but,that didnt happen.
Bass improve nicely,but still not enough for my 15 years bass playing ears.
So i decide to try with subwoofer.

Cheep sub,it have 2 drivers inside,mount in 45 degrees,and box is cca 30l.
I conect it from speaker output.

I have to make cable to convert singnal from speaker to line becuose sub dont have high level input.
After testing i find the right resistor value so the sub level can be at min so i have no distorsion of sound,and volume of sub i regulate on master volume control of sub amp.
I put the volume of sub as Phil from PS audio suggest,so you cant hear that there is sub in setup,it sounds like Dallas have very deep response.
And in combinaton with EL34 SE amp,it sounds like heaven.

So clean,the hole spectrum is there,and is clean,pure,realistic,unbeliveble.

In final setup it will be KT88 SE amp.

I gonna make some better photos and video when we move,now we are still in small apartment,so no much space to put the sistem.
I will like to put some better sub.

Phil recomended 2 subs,1 for each chanel,but i dont know if this is nececery. Any advice 1 or 2,which sub to buy,not to expencive?

I have 2 10" bass drivers,very good quality,150w/200w 16 ohm,37 Hz,200$ peice.But for them i need amp and low pass filter. Any suggestion for amp and low pass filter? Any good shematichs?

IMG-20210423-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210423-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20210423-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210423-WA0014.jpg