Dahlquist woofer same as Advent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of DQ-10s that the previous owner replaced the original woofers with a car woofer (yuk). Are the woofers in the original Advent Large speaker a direct replacement? I can get a pair of the old Advents in decent shape, except the woofer surrounds would have to be replaced (easy to do).

I vaguely recall they might be the same.

Yes, they are. The woofers advent made from 1972-1979 should drop right in and work wonderfully. I replaced a woofer for my DQ-10 with that of a 1976 advent after it was damaged by a pet. I never noticed any difference, and after doing some reading, saw that they were exactly the same.

Not quite the same, but usable

The cone on the dahlquist went through a different stiffening process we used shellac flakes mixed in alcohol then pressed and flattened the edge in a heated press the cone was glued to the voice coil with ambrodid cement advent used a different process and the the cone to roll was a heat activated cement.

jon b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.