Dac with HDMI input???

Hello

I have read that HDMi "carry" a very high quality digital audiosignal out from example a dvd player

1. My brain ask me:
Is it possible to take an ordinary DVD player->HDMI output->Dac with HDMI input-> Interfacecircuit??-> PCM1794-> analog output??

Here i am talking two channel mode example CD /DVD /DVD-A

Anyone have a opinion / experience about that?
(a ordinay dac with HDMI input)

Thanks
Kim

no no , this is not the way it works. It goes like this:

1- HDMI source ( for example, PC with a fresh AMD videocard )
2- HDMI receiver (hacked commercial tabletop unit or the HDMi chip itself)
3- multichannel, dac compatible I2s output

the carreid digital audio signal is of very high quality 8x 24/192

flshzug said:
no no , this is not the way it works. It goes like this:

1- HDMI source ( for example, PC with a fresh AMD videocard )
2- HDMI receiver (hacked commercial tabletop unit or the HDMi chip itself)
3- multichannel, dac compatible I2s output

the carreid digital audio signal is of very high quality 8x 24/192

Thanks

Yes but is then possible to separate the 8*24/192 signal so you only got the digital stereo signal and marry it to a pcm1794 chip?

Kim

I already have dozens of digital outs using a Lynx AES-16. I want to use PGA2311 remote controlled for setting volume on monoblock style amps like hypex or GC , decisions decisions... Once I made progress withthe PGA's I 'll let you know , btw anyone saw such scheme , balanced PGA23xx with something like one of smaller PIC with internal oscillator?

Avoiding HDMI is a very good thing unless you have no option for audio, then its analogue out or the Meridian mentioned above. The Trinnov's, Storms, Acurus's, Lyngdorf are good to a point but very expensive and more different than better than analogue out done well. Check out audio science and you will see they struggle to perform as well as the chipset would suggest. I had an Acurus ACT4 for 6 months and ultimately went back to my AV2 with analogue out from a Panasonic 9000, go figure !

As usual I recommend the Meridian hd621.
It gives out up to 8 descrete channels over 4x spdif or 4x aes in max 48khz 24bit from a LPCM (non encoded) HDMI.
It has a reclocker inside and plays very well in my setup.

Greetings,

Hi does this mean the player must be set to send out LPCM do you know how many discs have 24/96 and don't restrict the LPCM. Looking at the CODEC the MA tracks are 24 bit and 96 KHz

Can you use the 4 SPDIF outputs into standard DACs input, I thought there was a Meridian only challenge with the output in some ways ?

Hi,

well, most BluRay Films only have 48khz, so there was no problem for me. And the HD621 does accept everything over HDMI and will downsample ...

Yes you can use the 4 spdif outputs if you configure the unit (with the free Mconfig software) over RS232 to not upsample and not use the meridian encryption codec. Again, if you you do this you're limited to 24bit/48KHz on non meridian systems.

In my setup I use the 8 channel AES output over Ethernet into a professional dolby cinema processor (CP650)

Tks,

In my current set up, I am 7.3.0 and using

Panasonic 9000 > naim AV2 > naim supercap / 32.5 (L,R mains) > 9 naim 135's (bi amped front mains) to a number of Sonus Faber speakers

All of the DAC and 'processing' is done in the 9000 and I run analogue out from there, so an option could be 9000 HDMI Audio out to the HD621 > SpDif > 8 channel DAC or 4x2 channel DACs then back in to the AV2 analogue in ?

Is it easy to set up the Meridian and then live alone, ie configure with a laptop then remove the laptop ?

Somebody somewhere claimed that old Sony TVs had an HDMI receiver board that would output something resembling S/PDIF. My 30" CRT KV-30HS420 may have had that board, but I couldn't be bothered to rip it apart before recycling it when I moved. But, I found a copy of the service manual: the "P" board contains the HDMI input, and there is indeed a pin labeled SPDIF on the receiver chip, and audio out comes from a CS4335 DAC chip. Whether it can function without the other 200 pounds of tube TV attached is another question. Also, FWIW, HDCP stopped working on my Sony's HDMI input, so that could be an issue with other vintage Sony sets. (I could play content from a WDTV media player or computer, but not Blu-ray or upscaling DVD player, except an Oppo with patched firmware that disabled HDCP. The solution was a $15 ebay HDMI splitter which blocked or neutralized HDCP, if anyone cares.)

I just got a kind of ghetto solution.

It's an HDMI board that converts it to 8 channel I2S. It just rips HDCP, probably because the keys are integrated on the chipset, and leaves you with the I2S signal.

After that, you´ve got I2S signal to output to a DAC, or to a DSP or whatever...

Obviously, it's not a Dolby/DTS Decoder, so the audio in the HDMI must be PCM and previously decoded in the source.

I´ve posted several times for help on this regard, as I want to implement "a kind of" audio processor with HDMI input, DSP and 16 DAC for active speakers (ADAU1452 with 2x AD1938 in TDM16). Not so audiophile, but jitter put aside, it's probably in the same performance ballpark as most USD$750ish AVR's.

Regarding the jitter, the ADAU1452 has a dejitter circuit integrated, and I am looking for a multichannel FIFO reclock for a little help.

I was looking at these options recently ... none stood out as reasonable soound quality at an affordable price, but here are a few options

I gave up on finding something suitable and started looking at multi-channel USB DACs, the ASUS U7 being the preferred low-cost approach though it's becoming difficult to find