DAC Kit recommendation please -- I need to upgrade my Fiio D3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I too have the SMSL D8. I have done a few mods and with that said. After spending two days at the international newport beach audio show this last weekend. Where the best the best audiophile equipment descended on Orange County from around the world. I can say there is nothing when modded that performed better than this DAC until you hit the $3-5K range and then it was still hard to tell. Basically there was just more bells and whistles blue tooth etc.

Do you mean the SMSL M8? Or is there a D8 as well? (Sorry new to the scene).

What mods did you do it if you don't mind? I imagine an external linear regulated power supply?

I don't yet have a linear power supply for it, just the switching.

It's much more clear than my FIIO D3 V1, however there is I guess less "air" ? I have a linear power supply on the FIIO though, so I don't know if that is it.

But for example, Beck's Sea Change "Already Dead" song.. his vocals sound much more breathy (and I get into it more) with the FIIO. But everything is more smeared and not as tight of bass.. but more "air"? Is that what you'd call it? Maybe I just need a linear for the SMSL M8 to correct this. I even tried the slow filter on the M8 and I hear the difference, but still not enough air.

I was planning on those low noise power supply boards you mentioned for the +5 volts for the i2overusb and ak4490. THe one with the 8 jumpers to configure the special voltage regulator chip's output voltage. About $30 for a single channel on ebay. Or I could go cheap to start with and use 7805 along with caps & perf board.

I use those regulators at 5VDC output with my JLSounds USB board and run them off 6VAC transformer windings.

To power the I2SoverUSB/AK4490 combo one regulator needs to deliver 5V @ 400mA and the other 5V @ 200mA so a 15VA transformer should be fine.

Do you mean the SMSL M8? Or is there a D8 as well? (Sorry new to the scene).

What mods did you do it if you don't mind? I imagine an external linear regulated power supply?

I don't yet have a linear power supply for it, just the switching.

It's much more clear than my FIIO D3 V1, however there is I guess less "air" ? I have a linear power supply on the FIIO though, so I don't know if that is it.

But for example, Beck's Sea Change "Already Dead" song.. his vocals sound much more breathy (and I get into it more) with the FIIO. But everything is more smeared and not as tight of bass.. but more "air"? Is that what you'd call it? Maybe I just need a linear for the SMSL M8 to correct this. I even tried the slow filter on the M8 and I hear the difference, but still not enough air.

Oh sorry, typo :) I meant M8

Youll want to get a good linear PSU, it makes a nice difference in SQ. Actually if you get SMSL P1 (linear psu), add AC common mode choke upstream, add the mods on the power rails on the opamps, and another mod. Very little in the way of modding imo, but the results are audiophile impressive in way of value to sq.

Last edited:
Was looking at a photograph of the highly regarded Schiit Bifrost internals.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I read it is using the AK4490 as I mentioned earlier, which is the same one recommended to me from JLSounds. And also I notice they are using a simple LM317 and LM337 voltage regulators for the dual polarity supply. These were also recommended to me here. I am guessing that one voltage regulator that is upright with a heatsink on it is a simple 7805.

I can do this, right? Can't be too difficult? To make a DAC that sounds as good as the Schiit BiFrost?

Anyone know what the "multibit" feature is of the $599 schiit bifrost? How much would it cost me to add that to a JLSounds DIY AK4490 dac?

Last edited:
Been playing with the SMSL P1 Linear Power supply. With it plugged it, it sounds closer to the sound my FIIO D3 V1 is putting out (which is also on a linear supply I built).

Sounds like there is more "air" I guess it what you would call it. To be honest I don't hear much of a difference between my FIIO D3 V1 and the SMSL M8 with this P1 power supply. The switching power supply for some reason made the SMSL M8 louder (and perhaps more "clear" but less airy) than my FIIO but with the linear, they are about the same volume. I need to measure the output voltages of each supply (both linear and switching) to try and make sense of this. BUt I know they are internally regulated again on the board.. so it just doesn't make sense.

I might end up getting rid of this SMSL M8 and P1 and just use my FIIO.

I suppose I'll do another round of tests comparing the two DACs again once I get the X-LS Encores set up, before I get rid of one or the other.

what settings do you have for the m8, makes a difference. I tend to lean towards the "fast" mode filtering. here are latest mods, I deleted the previous lytics, and added 6 x .22uF COG NPO, total of 1.3uF . The ultra low esr from the 6 paralleled COGS along with the benefits of the COG, took the sq to another level, the bass it jaw dropping now and the detail even further improved across of freqs.

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 209
I also have a gainclone and just upgraded from a FiiO D3.

I'm still new to all this, so my ears are inexperienced, and this is the first component swap I've made.

My amp is an LM3886 built by DAL AUDIO. I think they use Brian Bell's circuit. Studio 3886 R2 Chip Amp STD - www.dalaudio.com

My speakers are Paul Carmody's Classix II. https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/classix-ii

I just got the optical Sabre ES9018K2M from HiFimeDIY for $60, powered with a cheap wall wart USB adapter. Hifime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC

I did my comparison w/ a Stan Getz jazz instrumental, and "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" by The Clash.

Joe Strummer's vocals were markedly clearer and more real / live sounding. The difference on the jazz track was subtler, but still present. Everything sounded clearer, like you were looking through a cleaner window. My immediate initial impression was that I could hear more of the room acoustics, and it just sounded more like I was in the same room w/ the band. Sound stage is also improved - it's more apparent where the different instruments are located. I also feel like I'm hearing more base.

Over all, it's a noticeable, but not huge, improvement; enjoyable and worth the $60.

Cool thanks. Which version of the D3 did you have? Also curious how the dac you got would sound with linear power. I thought the ES9018K2m in the M8 sounded more clear with the wall wart before I hooked it up to the P1.. now it sounds more like my FIIO D3 V1 (with linear power mod) .. more air or whatever. But then I switched to FAST with the P1 and it might be the best.. before MINI mode seemed to be the best for the wall wart. It's confusing me. What a good price on that ES9018K2M you have though.. $60 .. didn't know they were that cheap. Maybe I should try that or the one from DIYINHK.

Cool. Well I have the version with the silver color RCA's instead of Gold, so that's the V1 I guess. Read it uses a different spdif receiver that has less jitter or something? ANyways i read that the V1 was the preferable one to get that there was a sound difference between the two, if I recall. But that was another article. I do remember them saying to avoid the Tashan.

I hadn't seen the article you linked just now before, so I am interested in what it has to say about the V2 mods.

I just listened to my FIIO D3 V1 (with linear power supply) again and compared to my SMSL M8 w/ SMSL P1 Linear power supply and I really am liking the FIIO D3 better.. there are more mids and more air/detail I'm not getting with the M8 for some reason (even on FAST filter setting vs MINI). The M8 has more highs and about the same lows, but there is definitely more mids coming out of the FIIO which is pleasing to me... also the FIIO sounds less harsh to me. I don't know why this is but if I can't resolve this after testing out both on my new set of speakers I am building (XL-S Encore) I suppose I'll be returning the M8 and P1.

ANother interesting thing is the M8 used to be a bit louder than the FIIO at the same attenuation (makes sense since the FIIO is 1.6v and the M8 is 2v or so). It was definitely louder, but only with the included switching power supply. When I use the SMSL P1 it's about the same loudness as the FIIO D3 V1. I simply do not understand this because there is internal voltage regulation inside the M8 that steps it down to 5V and 3.3V. So the volume level shouldn't change? I need to measure the output voltage of the switching power supply and the P1 lienar to see if they are the same.

EDIT: Just measured both. The stock switching power supply (wall wart) that came with the M8 is output 8.79 volts. The voltage the SMSL P1 linear power supply is outputting is 9.02 volts.

EDIT #2: I'm STUPID. The digital spdif out doesn't have volume control on Mac and sent at full volume. I use the XMOS USB connection for the M8 and it has adjustable USB output volume and I had it set one notch down. So that explains why it wasn't as loud as it was before.. PLENTY louder now :) Now I have to redo all the A/B tests comparing it to my FIIO. Gonna do that now.. excited to get a real comparison now.. so ignore all I've said so far .. probably gonna blow away my FIIO now.

Last edited:
Try powering P1 at a full 12V not the 9V. Underneath the P1 set the dip switch accordingly to get 12V Op. Then move the power cable to the 12V out and install both of those clip on emi inductors in series together right at the end of the connector that goes into the DAC.

Really? The voltage regulator inside can handle the extra 3 volts okay without generating too much heat?

By the way, don't know if you caught my edit but it was my fault the volume was too low.. the USB output has adjustable volume with the XMOS USB interface in the M8. And I had it one notch down from full.

But still in some ways I like the sound of the FIIO Better.. has more mids. The M8 is more crisp in the highs but I think it's just because the higher frequencies have more volume.

Will changing it to 12v improve the sound? SUre this okay?

What are foobar2000 settings? Is that software? Running Mac OS X. Plug in and just start using -- no settings. No DSD I guess?

That's what I suspected, you weren't using foobar2000. I don't know the work around since I'm not a mac person. Your working on only 4 cylinders not the full 8 ;)

You have to go in a tweak a few things to get it optimized. Hence my deep scepticism that the FIIO would ever sound better over the new m8 sabre even in stock form.
That little disc has included in the M8 box has foobar and 2 or 3 other software plugins that go along with foobar2000. Maybe a mac person will see this thread and chime in.

Attachments

• foobar.jpg
    foobar.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.