DAC differences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Npc Gives you full datasheet before buying and ess gives just marketing ******** (Buy first get details later) according to marketing ess is better. Personally i prefer wolfson's audio codecs, because i know what i am buying, i know they are good and easy to implement.

Npc Gives you full datasheet before buying and ess gives just marketing ******** (Buy first get details later) according to marketing ess is better. Personally i prefer wolfson's audio codecs, because i know what i am buying, i know they are good and easy to implement.

bull, ESS has stated that there is no NDA required, you do not have to buy first; its more than superior on paper, the internal opamps to produce the voltage output from the wolfston is a deal breaker for me.

i'm not alone here and there is a reason why slowly one by one manufacturers are being forced to produce sabre based dacs and change from what they were using. people demand highest performance and at the moment, and IMO, ESS do not have any competitors in this area. the sound matches the superb numbers, put it that way. I have a wolfston 8741 dac, but I have 3 ESS dacs, 1 transportable ES9018 buff II headphone dac/amp, 1 buffalo32 for the workshop, 1 9012 ackodac for the main rig

its fairly obvious from your post that you have not owned an ESS dac and made a stand on principle, I think the OP wants more than kneejerk reactions and would prefer to hear from someone who has actual experience.

matter of personal prefderence, nothing against wolfstons, they just arent for me, but I do take issue with you posting an 'opinion' without having any experience, that is not an opinion

Last edited:
what do you mean? there is an extra available at their site which doesnt say much, but of you want the datasheet, just ask shaw electronics and they will give it to you. no NDA required, but you have to ask for the file.

rthe numbers are all over this site though, in fact its pretty much only the register info that isnt very much already in the public domain

Any reason we could not add for comparisson a analog sounding DAC, with an open midrange signature , namely the USB Monica with Mojo .

The TDA1545 used in the Monica is completly outclassed, compared to the discussed chips. THD+N can be as bad as 0.01% and SNR as bad as 86dB. Modern DAC IC hit figures of THD+N of 0.0008% and 123dB of SNR (PCM1794 taken as example).

In a discussion about the performance of DAC chips, the tda1545 is best left aside.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.